Last decent Cinema film you watched

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Gary Askwith said:
Dont forget the ladykillers and Psycho remakes :tongue:
Everyone hates re-makes don't they! Must admit I'm 'one of the crowd' here - in general I detest re-makes (perhaps War of the Worlds was a slight advance on the 1960s one with flying saucers because they couldn't figure out how to animate tripods, back then...)

A couple of re-makes that really make me cringe...
  • 1. Village of the Damned (that's right, plonk the whole works in USA!)
    2. That re-make of A Night to Remember - sorry can't think of the title at the moment, you know the one I mean, all that boy-meets-girl romcom stuff that wasn't in the original.... :?:

Tetedelacourse

King Kong? Take your pick of remakes of that but none of them are as good as the original.

Tell me, have you ever heard of... KONG?

Gary Askwith said:
Oooh its a toughie because there is just soooo much dross around
But one film that genuinley surprised me was 'Walk the line' the Johnny cash biography...ok they took a few libertys with the facts and it did descend in to slushiness but that all peripheral to the authentic feel of the thing
Some, in fact most of the rocking stage music numbers were quiet simply awesome, albeit too brief...there were touches of syncopated brilliance in the directors camera flow I havn't seen in a mainstream film for a long time...its one of those films TV veiwing will mute.. eg the rising bass cresendo in the opening scene :?:

I thought they didn't make em' like this anymore :tongue: :biggrin:

Yes indeed! A very good film. By all accounts Joaquim Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon sang the songs themselves!

Keith Oates said:
The last time I went to the cinema my partner complained that I was snoring as I slept, she's never asked me to go again and that was several years ago!!!!!!!!!!

Saw Door in the Floor with Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger (in the film, not up in the gods with me!). A very good film, but I did doze off and apparently snore several times, but NOT when Kim Basinger was involved! :tongue:

Two more recommendations from me. Last night I went to see 'This is England' - Shane Meadows' latest film. It's absolutely brilliant - set in the UK in the early 80s in a run down area, it documents the rites of passage of a young kid into a skin head gang. It sounds harsh but as in his other film (Dead Man's Shoes), there's loads of wry humour in it, and great obersvation and cinematography.

I also saw 'Black Book' which is by Paul Verhoven. It's in Dutch and German, and set in world war II holland. It's about a female double agent, but essentially is an interesting commentary on war...also highly recommended.

Christopher

Über Member
'Night of the Sunflowers'

Best film I've seen for 2-3 years. It is intelligent, well acted & shot and a superb thriller where there isn't much distinction between good and bad. It is like a really good French policier which is just about my favorite type of film: adult, ambiguous and atmospheric.

The whole film revolves around the discovery of a cave near a half-abandoned village in remote Spain. I liked this as I am also a caver, and all of the caving bits were spot on: ropes, kit, exploration techniques - this is very rarely the case in any form of mass media.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Frustruck said:
'Night of the Sunflowers'

Ah, yes, I really want to see this!

Moving swiftly from the sublime to the ridiculous, I had to go to watch the latest Harry Potter film with my wife last night (no choice!). It was actually not terrible and certainly a lot better than the interminable books (or indeed the buttock-numbing and pretentious LoTR films), having actually had some intelligent editing...

Emu

Saw Order of the Phoenix last week and thought it was the best of the HP films. The books are better though.

Melvil

The last film that I saw at the cinema that I thought was different and well-made enough to push it above the usual hollywood MOR stuff, was...

...Last Days.

It's a sort of fictional account of, well, the last days of a troubled singer who happened to look and act amazingly similarly to Kurt Cobain. I thought the silences and scenes spoke volumes. My girlfriend, however, pronounced it the 'most boring film I ever saw'. So, you know...

Oh, and I absolutely cannot wait to see 'Control', the upcoming film about the late, great Ian Curtis.

Went to see Die Hard 4.0 last nite, good mirth!

Just want you want from an action movie, outrageous stunts, humorous one-liners, baddies that get their come-uppance, and a hero who fights through unbelievable pain and broken bones, etc. ;)

Tetedelacourse

trustysteed said:
Went to see Die Hard 4.0 last nite, good mirth!

Just want you want from an action movie, outrageous stunts, humorous one-liners, baddies that get their come-uppance, and a hero who fights through unbelievable pain and broken bones, etc. ;)

Sounds like the TdF to me:smile:

Top Bottom