last ever top gear...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dst87

Brilliant. Very well done indeed :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Watched the Grand Tour last night. Very good. The BBC must be kicking themselves now as Top Gear in its present format and commentators is nowhere near as good. Well done Clarkson and Co.
Amazon have spunked the budget of a Hollywood blockbuster on an online video that will have a tiny audience and won't last two series. The Beeb are well out of it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Amazon have spunked the budget of a Hollywood blockbuster on an online video that will have a tiny audience and won't last two series. The Beeb are well out of it.

Presumably Amazon are hoping this show will do for them what Premiership football did for Sky. Amazon will need deep pockets (which hey have) and a strong nerve (which they may not have) if the subscriber numbers stay small

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
[QUOTE 4562615, member: 9609"]Clarkson was always going to pull it off, the bloke is a class act. 10/10. The beeb has shown yet again how out of touch they are with the average person by sacking clarkson and choosing evans - they really are clueless[/QUOTE]

If by "pull it off" you mean get paid a lot for a tv series then you're absolutely right. However if you mean to produce a successful and popular tv series with lots of viewers then the jury is most definitely out on that one

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
They need to sort out the studio segments though - toecurlingly bad at times. The stuff about the RAF, Americanisms etc was amateur. The idea of a "star" dying en route was funny the first time, strained the second time and just bad the third time. The NASCAR driver was funny - his description of the pulling ability of the M2 was, er, very descriptive and pretty much the right tone for what is a lad's show. The camerawork for the car segments was stunning though and that MacLaren is awesome.

I thought it was a very good start.

Incidentally, the BBC review is small-minded and petty.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I wouldn't be so sure.

My kids no longer watch telly, with a few exceptions like jungle and friends...bizarrely

They spend their "telly time" in front of the laptop, watching Amazon prime, Netflix and YouTube.

Amazon, Google, tesla, farenheight ( never heard of them but the kids tell me) and perhaps Apple, will become major manufacturers and content providers in the future. Cable, satellight and of course terrestrial telly are all desperate to diversify. In the mean time the players are way ahead of them and are leading the way in many other areas such as space exploration, car production and technology. The Google car exists, tesla have just released the model X self driving production car...available right now....Pretty soon we shall see an apple car (and on the same day @Markymark will provide a review) and Amazon will be just behind them.

So discounting Amazon viewing figures, in the long term, is likely a mistake.

Top Bottom