Last minute tour advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

I'm going to ride the transpennine trail next weekend with a friend. We've been planning it for ages and have decided to stop in B+Bs and since we live near the middle we can stop at home on one of the nights.

We'll get the train to the start at Stockport and then home from Hornsea.

As it's our first tour i thought i'd just ask if there's any advice that fellow tourers would like to share (perhaps things that we might not have thought of??)

cheers

Darren

Bigtallfatbloke

what have you thought of?:ohmy::ohmy:

difficult to say much without knowing more about your gear, aims, loads, routes, etc...

..erm..not that I know much anyway:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Get everything you think you'll need together, and have a trial pack-up. Then you'll know how much you have to leave behind, with time to think about it, rather than the night before!:ohmy:

Depending on how much the distance is stretching you, I'd also suggest getting as much distance under your belt in the morning as you can, and allow yourself more time on the afternoon - allows you a relaxed lunchbreak, and a tea stop, and you don't want to be dragging yourself desperately along if it's getting late and you have to be at a B and B...

And have fun! :ohmy:

OP
OP
D

DLB

Thanks Arch.

BFTB, we're aiming for between 50 and 70 miles a day. We plan to travel from Southport to Manchester and stop somewhere in that location on the first night. If the first day goes REALLY well, we'll stop at my sisters in Glossop but that is about 70 miles riding. Another days riding from Glossop would take us home (Rotherham) and then we'd be on the second half. If pushed for time/days we'd train it to Selby from home and ride from there to Hull, and maybe even Hornsea.

We've got 4 days although if we don't finish it in those days we'll finish it on our next opportunity

I've definitely got more miles under my belt than my friend, although about a week ago we did cycle to Selby which is about 45 miles and then trained it back to Doncaster and then rode another 13 miles to home. That's the only major training we've done.

Arch, yes we do intend to have fun adn enjoy the ride. I hope the weather is kind!! And the trial pack up does sound like a really good idea. i'll try that tomorrow.

Enjoy the trail......

We did the route in JUly, but had to abandon due to the flooding in Doncaster and Bentley.

Make sure you have a puncture repair kit and are happy with punctures as the Liverpool paths can be covered in glass as the yobs "play"

Also keep it light as the steps at Hale are a bind if you have a heavy bike

asterix

Comrade Member
Make sure you have a puncture repair kit and are happy with punctures as the Liverpool paths can be covered in glass as the yobs "play"

If you do cross a patch of broken glass, it's a good idea to check your tyres asap after as glass tends to work its way in and even a small fragment can eventually let the air out. Don't use your bare hands to remove shards!

longers

Legendary Member
Have fun with echoes in the tunnels near Thurgoland (if you go that route - well worth it for that reason alone). I think it's a more interesting ride along there anyway.

Top Bottom