Last time Final Stage of TdF wasn't ceremonial for GC riders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Places have changed on the Champs Elysee, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility, it's still a stage and once they hit the main circuit the racing is normally on, it's just unlikely is all.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
It often feels as though the Champs Elysees finish as been around forever, like the polka-dot jersey. In fact both were introduced in 1975.

Prior to that, the lead certainly changed hands on the final day road stage in 1947.

In 1979 Joop Zoetemelk, over 3 minutes behind in second place, successfully beat the entire field on the Champs Elysees by more than two minutes - apart from the leader Bernard Hinault who beat him in in the final sprint. As they were both almost half an hour ahead of everyone else, I suppose the rest may have decided not to chase in recognition of their superiority.

More recently, I can remember Pedro Delgado making attempts to get away in 1987, when trailing by 40 seconds.

It's not unusual for there to be time losses due to splits in the field on the final stage, though the 3 second rule might make it less likely. I think the so-called tradition is a myth. If the situation were right, as it could possibly be this year, I think they'd give it everything hoping for a split at the right time.
Thank you, that was the kind of helpful answer I was looking for.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Sort-of interesting facts.
Thanks for those. Wandering seriously off-topic, a few snippets to add:

The green temporarily became red in 1968 to satisfy the needs of a sponsor. During the 1980s there was a bona fide red jersey awarded to the leader in the intermediate sprints classification, a contest which disappeared when intermediate sprints were fully included in the green jersey competition towards the end of that decade. The 1974 intermediate sprints champion was Barry Hoban. Had there been a jersey at the time, Robert Millar's more significant achievement in 1984 would not have made him the first Briton to win one of the jersey competitions, so perhaps it's as well there wasn't.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Barry Hoban was talking about that on itv4 the other day. Fascinating stuff.
Barry Hoban is much under-used by the media. He had a long and distinguished career in the continental peloton when such a thing was very rare for a British rider and has an intimate knowledge of how the game works. It is also nice to hear the comparisons between then and now, because the sport has evolved considerably over the past four decades.

KneesUp

Guru
had fignon won in '89 and not lemond, we might have seen more tdf final stage tt's…

It's a shame Fignon is remembered for losing a TdF by 8 seconds rather than for winning it when he was only 22. Or for winning the Giro the same year he came 2nd in the TdF.

I wonder how history would remember that particular tour if Delgado had not been 2mins 40 seconds late for the start of the prologue time trial?

Top Bottom