Late arrival...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Bloody hell was worried for a bit there, thought I had become fashionable. Then they started slagging off lycra and I relaxed.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This hatred of clichéd cyclewear unites bike-style bloggers across Europe and the US. They share a belief that the stereotype of an aggressive cyclist in Spandex shorts and wraparound shades does a great deal to harm the concept of cycling as simply a normal, everyday means of getting from one place to the next.

This sort of stuff is bollocks though. You see it a lot on the utility bike sites, where they slag off drop bars as "playthings" and "sportbikes" as though you're supposed to do a 30 mile round trip commute with a bloody Bakfiets or city bike. (Although, chapeau to anyone who does). It's far more about having the right tool for the job - the Bakfiets has its place, as does the derided mtb and racing/touring bike.

That, I guess, is one of the problems with cycling becoming fashionable - the sort of people who care about such things will want some other group to be unfashionable so they can feel superior and trendy.

ChrisKH

Guru
The problem is, for me, Agyness Dean and the like are making the bike fashionable not cycling. So as with the fashion industry generally it's about form over function. I console myself that she won't be on a bike in a year's time.

Isn't it time we lobbied for her to wear a helmet?:rolleyes:

Maz

Guru
Hmm. I've looked at bike over and over, but I still haven't quite figured out "Is it worth £6000?" :rolleyes:

(at that price it should come with a supermodel!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chav tastic - do they do shorts and tops ?

Top Bottom