Latest Addition (Claud Butler)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks again, I've checked the rear derailleur and it has a code of ZG, July 1983 so indeed added a bit later.

I've now swapped the rims for a pair of alloy ones, and the brake pads too. Result is a lighter bike with improved stopping power:bicycle:

Last edited:

CBGuy

Interesting re rear derailleur. Your frame ID has come together.

Predicting to c.1979 and straddling catalogue Majestic features in years either side of missing 1979 catalogue makes #020410 a useful piece of data. Points to likely prediction accuracy. Probably a good one for Dave Scrimshaw to have in his data collection. (Clauds were combined with Holdsworth models in same 6 digit serial sequence post 1976)

Doug

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Been out on a couple of hour-long trips on the CB now, it's a decent ride with the new wheels:smile: DSCN1815.JPG DSCN1816.JPG

bladderhead

My CB was made before the company was taken over. It had the logo that was based on the Olympic sign. Rigida wheels. Weinmann. Sachs Huret back and front. Brooks suede saddle. It was quick. I got it 35 years ago. The wheels were destroyed when I got run over. Cannot remember what replaced them. Cog was very high gear, close ratio. I used the lowest two almost exclusively. I replaced it. The BB wore out and I had to get a taylor-made BB tool to extract it. Then the nickers nicked it. All I have left is the cog and the BB extractor.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Sorry to hear your bike got pinched, I'll need to be careful here in Cambridge as here is a nightmare for bike thefts.
I guess it must have been the early 80's when CB switched from the proper head badge to a sticker at the front of the bikes?

It's true, I remember having a Huret Duopar Eco just collapse on me. Dreadful thing.
I was having a look to see if anyone here had owned one of those monstrosities and bingo, Cycleops was also foolish enough to part with hard earned! I am probably twice as foolish, I bought first the steel version then the titanium one thinking the steel one might be a poor man's none functioning version.
Truly the worst dérailleur front or rear that I ever owned. So many pivots so poorly riveted and so sloppy. It is possible I still have the titanium version stored in a crate in England, I must ask a friend to look for me. There was another wretched contender for worst ever that a friend owned, a black plastic Simplex thing, truly terrible. My friend showed me how the parallelogram body flexed when he selected larger sprockets while the bike was on a workshop stand.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Claud is a 1983 bike. That period was under Holdsworthy ownership, so that means well constructed 531 frame, Wolber rims, Brooks bum perch, very, very nice Suntour finishing kit. I plan to be buried with it.

Top Bottom