Latest addition to the stable …..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juliansou

Picked up this little beauty a week or so back, it’s a Rayleigh Record Ace. Brought from the original owner who bought it in 1979/80. Completely original with campag components. Even had the original mudguards which I’ve taken off. It has a lovely patina to it but otherwise in excellent condition. Just done a 25 miler this morning which is it’s longest ride out so far. The friction shifting is taking a bit of getting used to, just about mastering the ‘art’ of trimming 😀
I’m amazed at how comfortable it is - lovely 531c frame although I can’t spend too long in the drops!!
IMG_0078.jpeg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very nice, proper gears too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You soon develop muscle memory with friction shifting and post shift fine adjustment becomes no longer necessary.

goldcoastjon

Picked up this little beauty a week or so back, it’s a Rayleigh Record Ace. Brought from the original owner who bought it in 1979/80. Completely original with campag components. Even had the original mudguards which I’ve taken off. It has a lovely patina to it but otherwise in excellent condition. Just done a 25 miler this morning which is it’s longest ride out so far. The friction shifting is taking a bit of getting used to, just about mastering the ‘art’ of trimming 😀
I’m amazed at how comfortable it is - lovely 531c frame although I can’t spend too long in the drops!!
View attachment 705116

Julian-

Thanks for the eye candy and the ride report. I have a similar-vintage Raleigh Record Ace frame and fork that's yet to be built up. (I'm preoccupied with finishing a home we're remodeling.)

Was yours built by Carlton? What's the serial number?

What components are on your bike now?

My Raleigh Record Ace build will not be all-Campi (the apparent OEM spec) since I cannot push those 42 rings up hills any more, but I understand that these Record Aces came equipped "tutti-Campagnolo." ;-)

If your neck or back are keeping you from riding the drops much, you might swap the current stem for a high-rise one like a Nitto Technomic: I use them exclusively in the "Deluxe" quill height of 180-190cm rather than the "too-long-for-me" 225 or 240 cm heights. (Choose the height you need.)

Happy riding!

View attachment 705116

A very nice bike. They are very nice to ride .

OP
OP
Juliansou

Juliansou

Julian-

Thanks for the eye candy and the ride report. I have a similar-vintage Raleigh Record Ace frame and fork that's yet to be built up. (I'm preoccupied with finishing a home we're remodeling.)

Was yours built by Carlton? What's the serial number?

What components are on your bike now?

My Raleigh Record Ace build will not be all-Campi (the apparent OEM spec) since I cannot push those 42 rings up hills any more, but I understand that these Record Aces came equipped "tutti-Campagnolo." ;-)

If your neck or back are keeping you from riding the drops much, you might swap the current stem for a high-rise one like a Nitto Technomic: I use them exclusively in the "Deluxe" quill height of 180-190cm rather than the "too-long-for-me" 225 or 240 cm heights. (Choose the height you need.)

Happy riding!

Hi there,
serial no is WL9 then a series of digits which I don’t think mean much. The W represents the Worksop workshop and the 9 is the year of the decade (1979). I’m not sure if it’s a Carlton build. Here’s the extract of the original components which mine’s got. Enjoy the project & I’d really like to see some pictures as you go along!
To be fair, I don’t spend too much time in the drops- mainly just for stopping & I can ‘scrub’ speed off from the hoods.

IMG_0599.png

Top Bottom