Latest Scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Here's what dropped into my inbox today:-

My wife and I have awarded you with a donation of £1.5 million Pounds
from part of our Jackpot Lottery of 161,653,000 Million Pounds, send your
name,address, phone for claims.

View http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18801698

We await your earliest response and God Bless you.

Best of luck.

Who is brave enough to click the linky? :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Here's what dropped into my inbox today:-

My wife and I have awarded you with a donation of £1.5 million Pounds
from part of our Jackpot Lottery of 161,653,000 Million Pounds, send your
name,address, phone for claims.

View http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18801698

We await your earliest response and God Bless you.

Best of luck.

Have you replied yet?

classic33

Leg End Member
Every man woman & child on the planet must have spent about £20,000 on tickets.
It'd be a wee bit higher if every man, woman and child had bought just the one ticket.
The current world population is 7.96 billion as of July 2022.

If every one in Europe had bought just the one ticket, it'd higher.
The current population of Europe is 748,558,304 as of Wednesday 13th July 2022.

Brandane

Legendary Member

Me. It takes you to the story of Colin Weir, one half of a local to me couple who won over £160 million on euro millions.
They were very generous locally to friends (sadly I wasn't one of them!) and good causes including sponsoring up and coming sporting talent.
However, money cannot buy happiness and he died in 2019, having recently gone through a divorce which ended their 38 year marriage.
So if you get an e-mail from Colin Weir, it is most definitely a scam.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Me. It takes you to the story of Colin Weir, one half of a local to me couple who won over £160 million on euro millions.
They were very generous locally to friends (sadly I wasn't one of them!) and good causes including sponsoring up and coming sporting talent.
However, money cannot buy happiness and he died in 2019, having recently gone through a divorce which ended their 38 year marriage.
So if you get an e-mail from Colin Weir, it is most definitely a scam.

I did go the long way around to find the story of their win. Sadly too many pies before the win may have lead to an early demise. So indeed the linky is safe.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I read about another doing the rounds.
Your son or daughter texts you on WhatsApp and says they're short of money and could you help them out with a few thousand or whatever. Even refer to close friends and relatives to make it seem genuine, I guess they get the info from FB or wherever. Only it's a scammer. Apparently a lot of people have been tricked.

If a relative sent me a text saying they needed money I would phone them to see if it was genuine. Doing the whole thing by text or email makes it 99% certain you will be scammed. Just how many more warnings do some people need before they stop falling for this nonsense?

Then they whine that the bank won't refund their money. Tough.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Your son or daughter texts you on WhatsApp and says they're short of money and could you help them out with a few thousand or whatever. Even refer to close friends and relatives to make it seem genuine, I guess they get the info from FB or wherever. Only it's a scammer. Apparently a lot of people have been tricked.

That one is pretty old. My brother emailed me from Turkey needing funds urgently as he had been robbed of all money and cards and the hotel he was in would not release his passport till they got paid.
This was convincing in that he did travel widely on business but otherwise pretty unlikely. He reckoned an internet cafe had been the source which shows how long ago this was.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Which only goes to show how dumb a lot of people are. We hadn't heard of this scam but did get a similar message.

Our "son" said he'd lost his phone, needed cash and was stuck somewhere, I forget where. As it happened we knew our son was staying wherever was mentioned.

I replied with a question only he could answer to his real number. Blocked the spammer. None of it is difficult.

Top Bottom