laudon wainwright III

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
redcogs said:
Loudon is essential listening if you are in any way sentient.

He has the rare combined ability to induce hysterical laughter, deep moving sorrow, and straight forward story telling. A veritable troubadour.

Kate and Anna Mcgarrigles together or with any combination of family past and present are bliss. All are among my top five artists.

Redders... gotta agree with you on this one.

girofan

Fab Foodie said:
Redders... gotta agree with you on this one.

Another vote from me for 'thinking persons music', but then again what do I know? I also like Karen Carpenter! :tongue:

redcogs

Guru
simon l& and a half said:
Essentially a comedy act in the Pete Seeger tradition. Tom Waits has the same talent for words, and a faux bohemianism that grates, but Wainright lacks Waits' musicality. You have to remember that Wainright's time was at the end of a period of great lyricism in American music, and, really, he's just stirring the leftovers.

Are you sure that you are familiar with the canon simon?

redcogs said:
Are you sure that you are familiar with the canon simon?

The early stuff. But not the later. And there's a reason. There's only so much you can extract from a dead skunk - especially when you're allergic to 'quirkiness'. The last 'album' I bought was 'Therapy' - because Richard Thompson is a near-guarantee of quality, and LW3 was in vogue with the young people. Now, 'Being a Dad' (he does domestic stuff a lot) is about as lazy a piece of writing as one can imagine. Duran Duran has more mileage in it, and, let's not forget, this was put out when the Smiths were fresh in the memory.

The comparison with Tom Waits is this...for thirty years (I saw him on the Sunset Strip in 1977) Mr. Waits has been pushing out songs that are musically intriguing. 'Cold, Cold Ground' has lyrics that are frightening and an arrangement that haunts. Now, I don't go for the Tom Waits on the road to hell stuff, because if he'd led the life that he sings about for the last thirty years then he'd be dead - but it's a good act. And he sings songs. Are you telling me that 'Be Careful There's a Baby in the House' is a song?

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/t/tom_waits/cold_cold_ground.html

As for Rufus. Mrs L bought home the CD. What on earth is that about?

redcogs

Guru
i can't dissent on Waits or Richard Thompson, both consumate. Only listened to Vincent Black Lightening this morning..

Loudon has done some weaker songs - who hasn't? apart maybe from Dylan/Cohen, who i personally wouldn't compare with LW3, being in a category apart.

But isn't it the stronger songs allied to the total package that draw the ear and the mind? Loudon can be subtle, sensative and occasionally somewhat crass. But Dylan n Cohen n Thompson have never induced tears of laughter in this listener.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

simon l& and a half said:
The comparison with Tom Waits is this...for thirty years (I saw him on the Sunset Strip in 1977) Mr. Waits has been pushing out songs that are musically intriguing. 'Cold, Cold Ground' has lyrics that are frightening and an arrangement that haunts. Now, I don't go for the Tom Waits on the road to hell stuff, because if he'd led the life that he sings about for the last thirty years then he'd be dead - but it's a good act. And he sings songs. Are you telling me that 'Be Careful There's a Baby in the House' is a song?

Tom Waits is one of the rare people that can make you feel like you are living in one of his songs:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7JZUpaVPg

"I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein,
and shot billiards with a midget, until the rain stopped"

SamNichols

redcogs said:
i can't dissent on Waits or Richard Thompson, both consumate. Only listened to Vincent Black Lightening this morning..

Loudon has done some weaker songs - who hasn't? apart maybe from Dylan/Cohen, who i personally wouldn't compare with LW3, being in a category apart.

But isn't it the stronger songs allied to the total package that draw the ear and the mind? Loudon can be subtle, sensative and occasionally somewhat crass. But Dylan n Cohen n Thompson have never induced tears of laughter in this listener.

Leonard Cohen has done plenty of bad songs. His 80s output, for instance, is pretty bad.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

SamNichols said:
Leonard Cohen has done plenty of bad songs. His 80s output, for instance, is pretty bad.

Most of Leonard Cohen and Tom Waitses, and probably Loudon Wainwright's is quite terrible. That is why they are the best.

Think of this.

Ray Davies.

Fab Foodie

girofan said:
Another vote from me for 'thinking persons music', but then again what do I know? I also like Karen Carpenter! :biggrin:

Errr... me too. The Carpenters were in Concert on the TV last night. Fab song-craft.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Fab Foodie said:
Errr... me too. The Carpenters were in Concert on the TV last night. Fab song-craft.

My jaw dropped watching that.

Not only was she pretty, a brilliant singer, anorexic... but she also played the drums FFS?????

The bacharach medley was stunning.

Top of the World - Best song ever conceived

Fab Foodie

Abitrary said:
My jaw dropped watching that.

Not only was she pretty, a brilliant singer, anorexic... but she also played the drums FFS?????

The bacharach medley was stunning.

Top of the World - Best song ever conceived

Unique voice, fits Bacharach beautifully.

Rainy Days and Mondays... Brilliant, bitter-sweet bubblegum.

Top Bottom