Laura Trott interview about London cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

2629814 said:
Yeah but it is nonsense. When car drivers say "all cyclists jump red lights" they don't mean literally. What they mean is they don't like sharing roadspace with cyclists and use a convenient artificial pretext to articulate that. Take that reason away and another will be substituted.

As I say, I don't believe giving up because (apparently) people won't change is a very helpful attitude. There's no harm in trying to affect a change.

Chin up :thumbsup:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Strange - as a driver, I have never had to stop and remonstrate with a person on a bike about how they have slowed me down, how they should be in the gutter/to the left of the lane. Nor have I ever been told to look on YOOCHOOB for my number plate, or been corrected at the road side on the actual meaning of VED. I haven't been involving in a 10mph rolling argument through the passenger window with a cyclist either........

Davidsw8

2629945 said:
There is if you fail to understand the problem to be addressed before you start.

I'm pretty sure I understand Adrian, as I'm pretty sure you think you understand too.

Maybe you have some suggestions as to how to improve things (assuming you think they need improving) for cyclists?

Davidsw8

2629962 said:
If you think that eradicating cyclists jumping red lights would mean no more tension between cyclists and motorists than sorry I don't think you do understand at all.

As for improving matters, easy. One strike and you are out. That would encourage drivers to be careful.

Ah, reductio ad absurdum... No, saying 'no more tension' would certainly be unrealistic but I reckon 'less' is most certainly achievable.

No need to be sorry by the way, I think optimism is a good thing and I think people's attitudes can definitely be changed, it's been done many many times before and there's no earthly reason it can't be done again. Just think, this driver/cyclist antipathy didn't always exist, it came from somewhere...

'One strike and you're out', you're very black and white Adrian but I kinda like your style ^_^ I certainly think that people (cyclists and motorists) respond well to strong penalties, they just need to be enforced.

May have been a bit unfair about The Sun earlier:

photo.JPG

http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-sun-we-need-more-cycle-lanes.html

Two years, the only media sources to cover bicycle transport in any way seriously were The Guardian's bike blog and some more open-minded journalists at BBC London and the Evening Standard. Now, the call for safe bicycle infrastructure is starting to permeate the BBC nationally and the Evening Standard has firmly nailed its colours to the 'more, safe cycling' mast. In the interim, The Times has also led its hugely successful 'cycle safe' campaign. The BBC, which used to treat cycling as a freak side show really seems to be portraying cycling in a much more balanced context and is starting to argue for proper cycling condition. There was a very well balanced report on BBC London last week which would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago.

subaqua

What’s the point
Oh, OK. It's just that when you said upthread that you wore one because you didn't want to be hit, I thought it would help with that. Last time I was hit by a car I got a huge whack on the knee and a bruised rib plus it trashed various parts of my bike, and I'd quite like to avoid that happening again

laura trott would say

wear knee pads and a padded vest then !

rather than deal with the real issue

Jezston

Über Member
Ah, reductio ad absurdum... No, saying 'no more tension' would certainly be unrealistic but I reckon 'less' is most certainly achievable.

No need to be sorry by the way, I think optimism is a good thing and I think people's attitudes can definitely be changed, it's been done many many times before and there's no earthly reason it can't be done again. Just think, this driver/cyclist antipathy didn't always exist, it came from somewhere...

No one ever successfully fought prejudice by pandering to bigots.

Top Bottom