1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Lay back' seat posts? Why?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Disgruntled Goat, 26 Nov 2007.

1. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

Why can you get some posts with huge lay back?

Are they for people who can't get their saddle far enough backwards or is there a comfort element?

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

They are to create a more stretched out position on the bike.

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

"CYNIC, We have a cynic in the house folks!
    Please make your way out in an orderly fashion."

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Follow Dom. He knows the way.:sad:

5. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

its for a very good reason. smaller frames are easier to throw about and handle better

6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

If you have a relatively long body compared to your legs, you may need to sit further behind the BB to get a good balanced position compared to somebody more "normally" proportioned. If you use TT and stem length then you'll end-up with lots of weight on your arms, so some of us find layback posts pretty useful.
    My TCR has quite a layback post as it has quite an upright Seat-tube. My Brooks saddle sits on the layback post almost as far back as poss. Stem length is 100mm, I'm very comfy!

7. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

Ah yes I get it now. Steep seat tube means further over BB = might need layback.

8. girofan

girofan New Member

Also if you are tall and have a long thigh bone. It keeps your knee over the pedal spindle, instead of in front.