'Layback' seat-posts, any experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've never really had a bike that fits me perfectly, maybe 99% but that meant that the saddle position is at its extremity or similar for example.
I have relatively shortish legs and a longerish back and tend to prefer to sit further behind the bottom bracket than most to prevent a lot of weight on my arms. On a nominal 53 I tend to end up with the saddle fully back on the rails and a 110mm stem. On a 55 I end up with a very short stem.
When chatting and sitting on the 55cm Ritchey road logic I'm soon to test-ride we were discussing fit. The 55 is just too big. The 53 would be about right but would probably need a layback seatpost.
My 'new' Holdsworth Elan 22" is 95% perfect but the Brooks is fully rear-ward and a layback post would seem to be the answer there too.

So what's peoples experience? Did they work or are they the work of Stan?
modify_inline.gif

*Not relevant but might raise a smile*

My only experience of a laid back seat post was on an original Raleigh SUPER BURNER that actually belonged to a mate.

I borrowed his bike, jumped off some steps, my @rse hit the saddle as I landed and the post went from nearly 90 degrees, (as per library pic below but without a brace), to almost 180 degrees in the blink of an eye:B)

cooks.jpg

compo

Veteran
I have no experience of lay back posts but I do have similar problems to the OP. I always found myself sitting back too far on my Brooks saddle so my bottom was actually sitting on the rear edge of the saddle. The solution for me was a VK saddle position adjuster which takes the saddle backwards another 4 cms. I have done several hundred miles with it now and it has transformed my comfort on the bike. Not cheap but worth every penny.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160978165331?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:blush:T&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I see them on BMX bicycles often here, so the adult or older youth has their legs less compressed,although I have likened BMX riding position to that of a Cossack Dancer. They are well suited to the BMX with longer frame and rear wheel position, but I wonder if, on a conventional bicycle, they would not throw too much weight on to the rear wheel, causing undue wear of tire and bearings. I think Compo has a good suggestion.

Davidc

Guru
I had that problem on a Peugeot bike I had for many years, and bought a seat post with the top angled back. It worked fine in letting me get the basic angles right, though the up-down adjustment on the quill stem made positioning easier than it is with modern threadless headsets.

For some reason (to do with frame geometry) I can just get my Brooks saddle back far enough on the current one.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Never had anything but a "layback" seatpost. It is a pretty standard thing on road bikes these days!
I guess that's a setback or offset post? I have one from my Giant I'm using at the mo on the Holdsworth and it's just OK, but the Brooks is right back on its rails. I was wondering whether the 'kinked variety' offer any benefit to get you a few mm further back?
Compo's solution has some merit.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'd like to know what a layback seatpost is but am too scared to google - especially with added kinks.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I guess that's a setback or offset post? I have one from my Giant I'm using at the mo on the Holdsworth and it's just OK, but the Brooks is right back on its rails. I was wondering whether the 'kinked variety' offer any benefit to get you a few mm further back?
Compo's solution has some merit.

Yes. The kinked variety? You mean like a Thompson? They acheive the same thing, but instead of placing the clam mechanism further back, the post is bent backwards.

Unless you mean something more extreme and a bit wierd, if so...... not on my bike!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Yes. The kinked variety? You mean like a Thompson? They acheive the same thing, but instead of placing the clam mechanism further back, the post is bent backwards.

Unless you mean something more extreme and a bit wierd, if so...... not on my bike!
Yes, that kind of thing.
I'm assuming 'Setback' is measured from the centre of the tube to the centre of the clamp bolt? Maybe I just need to use the post with the biggest difference.

02GF74

Über Member
i have mixturef layback and stright (or zero offset i.e. no layback) as I like to keep the distance between saddle nose and mid point of bars the same. Nothing wrong with either of them - obviously a post with more layback is going to get stressed more but a good quality post will take it, if it is breakage you are worried about.

Top Bottom