Lazy advertising execs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Watch a couple of hours TV on ITV, channel 4 or channel 5, and you may notice that advertising execs aren't trying very hard these days. An increasing number of ads are simply a classic pop song with the words re written to make them applicable to the product at hand, often with an animal singing along.

Flash, Total Eclipse of the Heart, and Bo Rap are but 3 songs that have fallen prey to this trend.

So, if you want to work in advertising don't bother with college, Uni or tiresome internships. Just find a catchy pop tune and get a dog to mime to it, then spend the rest of the working day up the pub.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The mute button on my remote works quite well :okay:

Dan B

Disengaged member
I cheer myself up thinking of all the extra money the artists will be getting in royalties because the ad industry don't make the effort

Unless it's a song I didn't like anyway, in which case I don't really care if it gets butchered.

simon.r

Person
I have a theory that many people who choose the backing tracks for adverts are pretty much the same age as me.

The latest evidence is the use of Joe Jackson's Stepping Out on an advert that's on regularly (although it's obviously not worked very well as I can't remember what it's advertising)!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Not quite the same but Alpecin are using the Castrol GTX music. I heard it as I wasn't paying attention to the TV when the ads were on and actually looked up as I was expecting an old ad. It must have stuck in my brain when I was a kid, the Castrol one.

TVC

I'm afraid they have been ripping off pop songs for years.

As an aside, she is flying over Lauterbrunnen in Swizerland, in the valley below Wengen. I bought a cycling jersey from the bike shop in Lauterbrunnen. Great walking, wonderful scenery and top notch fondue. But I'm rambling.

TVC

[QUOTE 4637582, member: 259"]My sister-in-law used to live in the Berner Oberland for 25 years. It was brilliant. Now she's moved back to a small village in Ireland. It's ok but the skiing is terrible.[/QUOTE]
It is a magical place, to sit in the church yard in Wengen of an evening and watch the clouds dancing in the valley below you. To walk along the valley floor which has the greenest grass I have ever seen with half mile high sheer rock faces on either side. To sit in the courtyard of a hotel in Murren eating Schnitzel whilst looking straight down a half mile high rock face at the same time blokes in jump suits and cycle helmets take a run up and leap off the cliff next to you, throwing out a drogue chute as they scream. Setting off from your hotel which is at the height of Ben Nevis and walking up to the base of the Eiger which is a climb the same as the height of Snowden and realising that at 8000 feet the air is a bit thin. Walking down following the Lauberhorn downhill ski race route and seeing how utterly bonkers Franz Klammer and his mates must be.

Stunning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom