Lazy advertising execs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It is a magical place, to sit in the church yard in Wengen of an evening and watch the clouds dancing in the valley below you. To walk along the valley floor which has the greenest grass I have ever seen with half mile high sheer rock faces on either side. To sit in the courtyard of a hotel in Murren eating Schnitzel whilst looking straight down a half mile high rock face at the same time blokes in jump suits and cycle helmets take a run up and leap off the cliff next to you, throwing out a drogue chute as they scream. Setting off from your hotel which is at the height of Ben Nevis and walking up to the base of the Eiger which is a climb the same as the height of Snowden and realising that at 8000 feet the air is a bit thin. Walking down following the Lauberhorn downhill ski race route and seeing how utterly bonkers Franz Klammer and his mates must be.

Stunning.
I've skiied down the Lauberhorn. The Hundschopf (spelling?) is mental. They force normal skiers to take a chicane before it to stop you getting air like the pros do. No way I could take it flat -out.

keithmac

Guru
Feels like heaven, shopping heaven...

Might have been a local radio add but it's forever stained the song.

TVC

I've skiied down the Lauberhorn. The Hundschopf (spelling?) is mental. They force normal skiers to take a chicane before it to stop you getting air like the pros do. No way I could take it flat -out.
The tunnel under the railway at the waterstation is the bit that shocked me, the course follows the walking path for a bit then suddenly dives straight down a stupidly steep bank and into the bridge mouth which is tiny, much smaller than it looks on the TV. Get off balance on the drop and you're heading straight for a stone wall.

Wasserstation.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Any telly i watch these days I've downloaded, and some kind soul snips all the commercials out :okay:

But i do have a soft spot for the ads the OP is whining about. Local commercial radio is the traditional home of bastardised pop melodies... it's an art form. Almost.

One of my lesser played bits of vinyl is a Unipart album of advertising jingles. Imagine popular Beach Boys, Carpenters or Jan & Dean songs, but with lyrics like driving to town, the car breaks down, i hope there's a Unipart dealer around... and if you think that lyricism's poor, wait 'til they shoehorn in the lyric all Unipart parts are guaranteed by British Leyland.

Then there's my MP3 folder full of old Coca-Cola songs, performed by the artists themselves; Karen Carpenter, Neil Diamond, the Andrews Sisters, Everly Brothers, Moody Blues, Roy Orbison (and many more) all singing bastardised versions of their own hits, but with lyrics about how great Coke is.

...like i say, it's art, almost.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Not quite the same but Alpecin are using the Castrol GTX music. I heard it as I wasn't paying attention to the TV when the ads were on and actually looked up as I was expecting an old ad. It must have stuck in my brain when I was a kid, the Castrol one.

I have to confess it took a couple of viewings before the penny dropped. The Castrol ad was a classic and personally I don't have a problem with ad makers paying respectful homage to it.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Not strictly advertising any product, but the Beeb is currently using Cozy Powell 'Dance with the Devil' for their 2017 sports coverage promos. It was the very first single I bought, back in '73 ??. I only found out later they nicked a guitar riff for it from Jimi Hendrix 'Third stone' track.

Oh, and I hate car ads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom