LBS and RRP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
@bpsmith I don't disagree, but if the retailer's hands are tied....
An LBS can add value in other ways as you experienced. If they don't through poor customer service, then the inevitable happens.
Personally I can't complain too much. I didn't get my 2nd bike from the Lbs because they didn't sell the set up I wanted except as a tourer.
But in terms of prices for accessories etc, they are at or below the local Halfords for items I have bought and were a godsend when I stripped axle threads on my old bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My local bike shop has excelled itself over the recent purchase of my new mountain bike.

It was on clearance and a few quid cheaper than Evans.

I've already been back for a couple of while I waited tweaks.

They changed the seat post because it was scratched.

Apparently, they cut seat posts for a lot of Cannondale customers so mine will go on another bike with the scratched bit chopped off.

I bought a shock pump from them.

Chris the mechanic was able to tell me it works OK because they used one in the workshop for a while.

The price was a few pounds cheaper than Wiggle.

The supplied pedals didn't suit my new bike shoes.

No problem, here's a lighter set of Wellgo caged ones which have been barely used.

I could go on.

Nor do I believe my experience is unique, I'm sure many people receive similar service from their local bike shop.

JMAG

Über Member
The inflated prices are what pays the overheads of LBS's. If your only measure of value is price, then buy online. The thing is that many people who only buy online will look, touch and try at an LBS and then buy cheaper from somewhere that hasn't invested in these overheads.

This leads to LBS's closing down and soon your only options will be online or larger multiples such as Evans and Halfords. The wayside will be littered with brands or models that said multiples choose not to carry leading to restricted choice.

I support LBS's as much as I can because I value the service they provide me, but I also buy some items online. You might think that makes me a hypocrite, but then I don't need to look, touch and try when I'm buying GT85 or a bike lock.

Each to their own though. I'm not telling anyone how or where to spend their money. Just commenting on my buying habits.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
True, but you are still less likely to be cutting the tags off an ill fitting garment bought from an LBS because you will have left the LBS with a correctly fitting garment. No? :smile:

Errr..no - I find trying things on in my own home, with no stress and no feeling of being hurried is much more condusive to getting a good fit - shoes being a prime example of this. I wear, I test, I think and then, and only then, do I cut tags off.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's hard to feel hurried in my LBS when drinking their coffee, eating their choccie digestive and sitting on their sofa with a big pile of Weight Weenie Weekly on the table.

outlash

also available in orange
People who don't work in retail: 'They're extracting the urine with those prices'

People who do work in retail: 'How can they afford to pay wages with those margins?'

Tony.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
It's hard to feel hurried in my LBS when drinking their coffee, eating their choccie digestive and sitting on their sofa with a big pile of Weight Weenie Weekly on the table.

True - each LBS is different, but I still think my point is valid - it is the cutting off the tags before the garment has been tested for fit is the stupid bit, not where it was bought from.

My LBS doesn't have any seating, has no biscuits and is rather grumpy - but has the upside that they are on the corner of College Road and Brompton Avenue - which always makes me smile :smile: and even though grumpy, are really quite helpful too :smile:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Got my bike from LBS. I told them I was broke and wanted the most cost effective road bike they had. They knocked £50 off the RRP because it was a display model with maybe 5 miles on the clock and then they swapped the parts for new from a new one in the back, which they then used as their replacement display model. They gave me a free bottle & cage. They set it up exactly right for me and gave me tips on riding, because I'd never ridden a bike with gears before and hadn't ridden for 20 years or so. They gave me a free service after 6 weeks, flipped my stem and lowered my bars for me. They gave me tips on pedals and shoes and sneekily said I should try Halfords, as they knew there was a deal on. They gave me a 10% discount on my helmet. They sorted out a jammed freewheel and only charged £6. They are about to change / upgrade my crankset, chain, front gear cable & cassette and are charging me RRP, but not charging for the work they will do.

I also buy things online, but usually only clothing and lights & will most likely buy some other mechanical bits in future, now I've got a better idea of what's what, but I think you should remember that when you pay RRP at an LBS for parts, you're also getting a professional to do the work for you and it will probably save you a LOT of time.

I've nothing but affection for my LBS. I even love the smell of the place. Rubber & oil..mmmmm

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
How can anyone justify charging almost double? I was showing willing, in gratitude, but that's a bonkers markup.

I think there should be a more middle ground here and I would buy everything from them, even with some markup.
I buy quite a bit from the LBS - in terms of Brompton tyres, the markup is minimal (in some cases non-existent) so picking them up from Harry Hall (the local Brompton dealer) can make more sense than buying online (and having to wait in for DPD all day).

In general, if the markup is an amount I don't care about (or non-existent) or I'm consuming a fair bit of their time, or I want whatever I'm buying there and then, I use the LBS. Tubes, brake blocks, Carradices, Brompton spares &c quite often fall into this category. It helps that the LBSs I've used are good, and provide a good service - Rick Greens, Harry Hall, Bike Boutique, Keep Pedalling, Supreme Cycles have all been good to me, and I'm keen to see them able to remain part of the cycling landscape.

At the time I bought my SCR2.0, online prices were no different to shop prices, and Rick Greens gave me good advice, a CTC member discount, free mudguard fitting and some nice extras, as well as setting the bike up perfectly for me.

The inconvenience of courier deliveries plays a part for me too.

Drago

Legendary Member
Online retailers also have a national, and possibly even international market to serve. They're therefore liable to shift a lot more units and thus avail themselves of bulk discounts that are simply out of reach of the LBS.

And for my next trick I'll compare this light bulb to my wardrobe, and complain that the latter cost a lot more and doesn't throw out much light.

vickster

Legendary Member
The inconvenience of courier deliveries plays a part for me too.
This is definitely true. I've often done an Evans click and collect because it's simpler...and can give me an excuse for a 10 mile cycle :smile:

I don't really use LBS's in general. Each of my bikes to date don't haven't been used enough to need parts or maintenance before being sold :blush:

Clothing is my usual purchase, most of which has to be bought online. Local shops don't always carry the brands I want and if they do, they rarely if ever have my size in store (choosing to carry sizes 8-14 mostly, no use to me :angry: )

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have never in 25 years of cycling taken a bike to a bike shop for maintenance - I do it all myself.
I do my own maintenance & building too, save for fitting headsets and prepping bottom bracket shells (both of which Sideways Cycles did for free on the last frame & fork I bought). They also held the frames I was looking at against my current bike (very patiently) while I ummed and ahhed over the geometry :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
I could go on.

Nor do I believe my experience is unique, I'm sure many people receive similar service from their local bike shop.

I took a wheel with a broken spoke into mine the day before riding my first sportive - workshop was rammed, they lent me a brand new wheel for the weekend, no charge.

Wife's crank arm (ohh err!) dropped off the other saturday, Train home, into Evan's wimbledon. Fixed on the spot, no charge.

Top Bottom