LBS bike service, worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Get a proper workstand FFS...Argos do a very good one, I have had mine a year now, and use it for all sorts of fettling and washing the bike, cost about £70 but worth every penny.

pbar

User259iroloboy said:
Get a proper workstand FFS...Argos do a very good one, I have had mine a year now, and use it for all sorts of fettling and washing the bike, cost about £70 but worth every penny.

If I had £70 to spend on bike stuff, I'd buy one of these! -
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-5-0-m-3964996/

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Alcdrew said:
My bike is coming up to a year old now, so I think it is time for it to be serviced, as I would with my car. So is it worth me taking it to the LBS who offer So maybe with a couple of cables or something will end up costing £110-120, I reckon. And probably take 2-3 days.

or shall I just give it a good clean and re-oil/grease?

It's a Trek 7.5fx with disc brakes, cost £550 so nothing super special but not that cheap either. It as only done about 2500 miles so far, and gets used prety much on a daily bases.

Whats your views, do you have your bike reguarly serviced? If so how oftern, after x amount of miles or a set time period?

I think that is an awful lot of money to spend on a service, but from the other comments you've made it seems you can't be bothered to do it yourself though you are able to. It really depends on whether or not your happy to part with that much cash for something I would regard as unnecessary.

Myself I have the bike checked over twice a year for around £10 plus parts. I use a very good LBS who would first ring me if they felt it was necessary to strip the whole thing down and rebuild it. If Ian (the owner) told me it needed stripping down I would trust him, sounds like your LBS are simply making a lot of money out of you. Surely if you feel able to do it yourself you are able to decide if it is required or not. Personally I don't have that knowledge.

£100?? Where do you live? Belgravia? That's silly money. I'm all for supporting my local cycle shop but that's outragously expensive. And how can they justify quoting a flat rate for such a job? Track-bike, Brompton, Full susser, very different bikes. I'm guessing I could strip and rebuild five or six track-bikes in the time it takes to strip and rebuild a down-hill bike.

I reckon unless you are totally inept you should do your own maintenance. Buy specific tools as you need them; a pair of cable cutters will cost about the same as a set of cables, a chain tool when you replace the chain etc. It'll save you a lorra money in the long term. The LBS will still be there for the few jobs you can't do.

Monkey Boy

Now that I have three bikes (and counting!) I don't fancy spending £40 a pop to service at the LBS.....gets a tad expensive. So my Missus got me a bike maintenance course for Chrimbo.....and it was ace. I now quite enjoy locking myself away in the shed and getting dirty. I can do all the stuff that the LBS can do and also get the added satisfacation of doing it myself and saving mucho mula. The cash saved on servicing can be spent on a tool-kit and workstand. Easy.

Top Bottom