LBS charges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
There's a little Park tool that costs a tenner. It clamps round the tube and presents a groove for the saw blade. Can't see an LBS messing about with Granada vice or witchcraft when these gubbins are so cheap and widespread.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
There's a little Park tool that costs a tenner. It clamps round the tube and presents a groove for the saw blade. Can't see an LBS messing about with Granada vice or witchcraft when these gubbins are so cheap and widespread.

Something like this?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you like, but there's no need. As long as you don't batter the tube off with an axe you'll be fine.
The only critical thing is that the cut is a few mm inside the stem. Doesn't have to be square.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
If you like, but there's no need. As long as you don't batter the tube off with an axe you'll be fine.
The only critical thing is that the cut is a few mm inside the stem. Doesn't have to be square.

I know where you are coming from and I probably could do it..... I could improvise something from stuff I have but I like having the right tool for the job. I don't have a great deal of tools but over the years I have bought the necessary tools to look after my bikes and do most jobs. I bought the Lidl tool box about 3 or 4 years ago and while most tools are ok for what I need, the cone spanners were poor so I took advantage of an offer in one of the online stores and bought 6 Park Tool spanners which make the job a joy to do, £30 well spent in my book. I have serviced probably 10 hubs since then.... I'm sure the LBS would have taken more than £30 for that..... plus, I get as much pleasure out of fixing my bikes as riding them :smile:

There's a lot of pleasure to be had when one can improvise a tool or a method and save money in the process. I do that sometimes but this time I just want to buy the right tools. This time the pleasure will come from doing the job right ( I hope :smile:) and from knowing the tools would pay themselves in a matter of weeks.

Top Bottom