LBS Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When ever a beginner asks for advice on buying a bike one of the first things that is suggested is that they go to a good LBS (Local Bike Shop). So this would seem to be an appropriate place to recommend a good LBS in your area. So to kick off I can recommend the Bicycle Works, Biketrax and Freewheelin' Cycles in Gorgie. Those are all in Edinburgh.

In Aberdeen I would suggest Alpine Bikes, I haven't tried their other branches so can't comment on them.

Over to the rest of you...

ash68

for me can't beat The bicycle repair man, Prudhoe, northumberland. good range of bikes, accessories, plenty of good advice and friendly and knowledgeble staff

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Recommendations made up to post 58 are summarised in two posts;

Recommended Shops in England, UK, Names Beginning with A-R here

Recommended Shops in England, UK, Names Beginning with S-Z and all shops recommended in Scotland and Wales are here

Wilmslow/Handforth: Rick Green Cycles
Stock Specialized, Giant, Bianchi and Raleigh bikes, and a range of tools, clothes, parts and accessories.

Great service, friendly people - they saved me once when one of my tyres exploded in fairly spectacular fashion by opening up the shop early and fitting the new tyre for me while I got warm again (it was December!) Bought my Giant from them and was very impressed by their willingness to answer daft questions, let me try bikes out, and it was set up very well for me to ride away when I took delivery.

Manchester: Bicycle Boutique (No Website)
Offers a reasonably priced repair service (eg a fiver for puncture repair including new inner tube). Same day servicing. New/second hand bikes from £60. A small, reasonably priced range of parts and tools (including tyres, inner tubes, puncture kits, lights, locks and multi-tools etc) The Bicycle Boutique is situated in a small shop next to the Sugden Sports Centre.

Hillcourt Street, All Saints, Manchester M1 7HU (10am-6pm, M-F; 10am-4pm Sats).

These guys are great - their stuff is very reasonable, they're more than willing to talk bike with you and offer (good) advice - they matched the best internet price on my Stelvio tyres too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Going to have to look at the Bicycle Boutique - I'm blooming in the All Saint's campus weekly - I work for MMU !!

Second Rick Greens - and son Paul - he's built a fair number of wheels for me - they lasted years with no truing issues !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
Going to have to look at the Bicycle Boutique - I'm blooming in the All Saint's campus weekly - I work for MMU !!

Heh :rolleyes: They're nice guys - they don't stock a lot of high end stuff, as the bulk of the clientele is students, but they'll order anything they or their cycle factor can get their hands on. They had a decent Cheshire routes guide in not too long ago too.

Half the fun of going there is seeing the other customers' bikes too - they had the most beautiful steel Pinarello in one time I went down there...

Alcdrew

None of the people that work there are 'sales people' so can come across as a bit ?(don't really know the right word for it, but a bit offish) but they are all bikers, who know how bikes work and whats good for what. And they have some lovely machines in there if you have a spare 4k... but still do cheap (but not rubbish) bikes as well.

So in Milton Keynes - Phil Corley's cycles

killiekosmos

Veteran
My one and only LBS http://www.walkerscycling.co.uk/

Staff are all cyclists, organise MTB and road rides, own cycling club etc.

ChrisW

Bright Cycles in Raynes Park, London SW20

Knowldgeable, helpful staff, always repair my bikes well. They will normally fix little problems on the spot and will give helpful friendly advice.

That creates a lot of loyalty as far as i'm concerned...and compare that with the bike shop chain "that shall not be named!"

Shaun

Founder
Hull - Rob Winstanley, Anlaby Road.

Specialized dealer and all-round nice bloke. :biggrin:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Would have been the late lamented Freewheel here in Reading. Now it's Rotec Cycles in Shinfield if I want to get anything done or AW Cycles in Caversham if I want to check out a range of products.

Top Bottom