LBS Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
spandex said:
In York it has to be York cycle works and cycle heaven

????
When I lived in York I found York cycle works expensive, cliquey, rude and incredibly unhelpful. I prefered Fulford Cycles.

Mortiroloboy

Banjo cycles in Newbury, run by Mark Letters, does a bit of racing (cat.4) or as he likes to joke 'fat boys racing', (he's not fat!) main dealer for - Specialized, Trek, Van Nic. etc. usually price matches, and if (like me) your'e in the Newbury Road Club, then 10% discount too!:biggrin:

marinyork said:
????
When I lived in York I found York cycle works expensive, cliquey, rude and incredibly unhelpful. I prefered Fulford Cycles.

Ok But you go back now and tell me what you think. Fulford cycles? a mate of mine got his bike from there and over all it was not good. (Im not saying it is a bad shop) YCW ? we can all say good and bad things about all the LBS.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
spandex said:
Ok But you go back now and tell me what you think. Fulford cycles? a mate of mine got his bike from there and over all it was not good. (Im not saying it is a bad shop) YCW ? we can all say good and bad things about all the LBS.

In fairness I did live about 50 yards from YCW for about 2 years. Fulford cycles isn't great by any means but I just found the attitude, price and parts sold preferable. I'm sure there are people who really like YCW but as far as I can see from going in there they must be millionaires (no really). If they actually offered service or practical advise whilst being ****s I could have just about put up with the place. I had a service at Fulford cycles and although they ignored one thing I told them otherwise I thought it was all right. On getting a service done at YCW they made a hash of it, ignored what I said and were incredibly vague, evasive and unknowledgeable about it. At least at Fulford they apologised. I think the thing though that annoyed me most about YCW was they recommended the schwalbe marathon plus as a tyre good for roads that was easy to put on. This is complete twaddle and how they could come to that conclusion is beyond me. I realise this is a strong post but for me they are Halfrauds dressed in Harrods clothing.

I'm quite lucky in Sheffield that I have a LBS I like, he calls a spade a spade, is chatty and offers advice when needed, says no that's b*llocks when needed and has no qualms about offering popular or lower end parts alongside better ones.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
Going to have to look at the Bicycle Boutique - I'm blooming in the All Saint's campus weekly - I work for MMU !!

Go this week and ask them to show you the Colnago they have in - and the Harry Hall.

Thank god the frames were too small for me, or my overdraft would have grown by a factor of lots...

mr Mag00

rising member
In Dorset; Dorchester cycles always happy to help and for the serious off road and road kit i prefer Ride Cycle works, lower Parkstone Poole

gavintc

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
When ever a beginner asks for advice on buying a bike one of the first things that is suggested is that they go to a good LBS (Local Bike Shop). So this would seem to be an appropriate place to recommend a good LBS in your area. So to kick off I can recommend the Bicycle Works, Biketrax and Freewheelin' Cycles in Gorgie. Those are all in Edinburgh.

In Aberdeen I would suggest Alpine Bikes, I haven't tried their other branches so can't comment on them.

Over to the rest of you...

Interesting. I arrived in Edinburgh in Sep and am still trying to find a reliable bike shop. I have used a couple and have not been impressed. On the club run on Sat, I decided to ask everyone I was alongside which bike shop they recommended. Bicycle Works was the shop of choice.

Chris James

Über Member
I like Try Cycling in Kirkburton, Huddersfield.

It's an old scjhool type bike shop. Not a huge amount of stock but seemingly a tardis like back room from where they can produce lots of odds and sods seemingly at will.

Both the main guys in there seem a bit shy and / or brusque on first aquaintance but give good advice based on your needs rather than what they want to sell to you.

Gary D

Rhythm Thief said:
Fred Williams of Wolverhampton. Still my LBS even though I now live in Monmouth - that's how good they are. Helpful, friendly and they stock a good range of stuff. And I don't think I've ever bought anything without them giving me a discount.

Another vote here for Fred Williams.

I collected my new Bianchi from them at the weekend and the service I have received right from the first visit to browse, through the test ride, and then coming up with a final specification has been great. They (Steve) were very flexible and accomodating with changing things on the bike and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. If the follow up service is as good, then I shall keep going back there - even though it is not my nearest LBS.

I would also agree with RT comments about the range of bikes they stock. For what is quite a small shop, they have an incredible choice - Bianchi, Trek, Felt, Wilier, Pinarello, Dolan etc.

Gary.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bikes of macclesfield. not one of the kind of shops that sell top end roadie stuff, but they are excellent for repairs (usually same day) and are the kind of place that will have the bit you need in a hurry in a box somewhere.

they are also stockists of merida, massi and claud butler, among others.

there's also a very good selection of second hand bikes, including a couple just begging to be a good fixie project.

Top Bottom