LBS Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beancounter

Alcdrew said:
None of the people that work there are 'sales people' so can come across as a bit ?(don't really know the right word for it, but a bit offish) but they are all bikers, who know how bikes work and whats good for what. And they have some lovely machines in there if you have a spare 4k... but still do cheap (but not rubbish) bikes as well.

So in Milton Keynes - Phil Corley's cycles

+ 1

bc

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I can recommend http://www.fredwilliamscycles.co.uk/ especially for repairs/upgrades to high end bikes, in Wolverhampton.

Also Jack Hateleys on the A449 in Fordhouses, Wolverhampton - do a decent service for £15 and don't rob you. Absolutely crap at bike fitting though and only sell low end models.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
John the Monkey said:
Go this week and ask them to show you the Colnago they have in - and the Harry Hall.

I saw them.....picked up some SPD cleats - what a tiny place. The Colnago was pretty good shape - would benefit from a good polish... did say to the guy there "Someone told me not to look at the Colnago......" - He said "yeh touch but don't Look"... my size as well !!!!!

Jim77

custardpie said:
The Bike Factory in Chester - excellent service; very helpful; too busy on a Saturday tho'!

Have you tried The Edge Cycleworks in Chester? Also can anyone recommend any in North Wales?

I don't suppose there is someone who could put these shops onto a linked googlemap or something is there? It's just trying to wade through 5 pages to see if a location is mentioned is already daunting, and the amount of pages shoudl increase if this is going to work.

For my own contribution:
I've just started to use Billy Bilsland Cycles out near Glasgow Green and am impressed so far.

Chris James

Über Member
custardpie said:
The Bike Factory in Chester - excellent service; very helpful; too busy on a Saturday tho'!

The Bike Factory was set up as Davies Brothers Cycles outgrew their shop in Cuppin Street (now the premises are La Tasca). At that point it was always by far the best shop in Chster and the one all the club cyclists used to hang around in.

I haven't lived in Chester for about 15 years, although my parents still do. I would imagine The Bike Factory is still an excellent shop.

Where is the Edge Cycleworks?

Hairy Boy

Big shout out for Cyclesense in Tadcaster.

Bought a new Giant Terrago 4 weeks ago and felt some roughness when pedaling in gears 6, 7 and 8 on the rear cartridge (the smaller cogs).

Took the bike back and they've changed the cartridge and the chain to resolve the issue.

I was looking at purchasing the bike on-line to save a small amount of cash, I guess my experience proves the benefit of purchasing from a good local bike shop.

They have a great range of clothing and accessories and offer great advice.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Stig-OT-Dump said:
I don't suppose there is someone who could put these shops onto a linked googlemap or something is there? It's just trying to wade through 5 pages to see if a location is mentioned is already daunting, and the amount of pages shoudl increase if this is going to work.

I think I have a post somewhere on the first page - if I get chance, I'll start sorting these into a sort of regional A-Z in one post.

As for linking to a googlemap, you'll need someone a bit cleverer than me :wacko:

Dormouse

Jim77 said:
Have you tried The Edge Cycleworks in Chester? Also can anyone recommend any in North Wales?

I have always had good service and have bought 2 MTBs from Beics Betws in Betws y Coed. In winter, phone before travelling to check when they will be open as they tend to close in the quiet times out of the holiday season.

Plax

Guru
Jim77 said:

It depends where you are in North Wales. I suspect your in the North East, but if you're ever over the North West I recommend these guys;
http://www.revolution-bikes.co.uk/
Based in Bangor. Work colleague always recommends them, and since I couldn't get my front mech sorted, thought I'd give them a try.
Sorted my problem and also tweaked my brakes (basically they did a "first service" on the bike, as I'd brought it over the internet and I wasn't happy the brakes either). Pleased with the service and I'm going to take my badly abused Hybrid there for a service next month I think.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
TSW in Woodborough isnt bad. It was where i bought my bike from. Had trouble with my rearbrake even when it went into there to be fixed and ended up fixing it myself.
The guy has been very helpfull though, has fitted chains for me with no labour charge, and when i needed a new cassette after the chain had worn it down and i had just had the chain fitted and took the cassette off another new bike and put it on. Even let me pay for it the next day because i didnt have any more money on me. That was nice.
He also does Giants(maybe other makes) cheaper as he is a factory store so he will knock a decent amount off for a small amount of paint being chipped off.

sadjack

I've used loads of shops over the years.

When I worked in Rhyl 7 years ago I swore by Hughes Cycles's, family run at the time and excellent mechanics. Not been there recently but note they have had a major refit of the shop by the look of it the last time I passed.

I use East End Cycles in Colwyn Bay a bit now. Small shop, good no nonsense advice reasonable rates, but perhaps not the stock, but for repairs and bits brill.

I traveled out to Harrogate to buy my Dawes Super Galaxy from Spa Cycles, mainly because they were one of the few (only?) shops to have them in stock and available to sit on. Enjoyed the chat with the guy who served me, a guy who obviously loved cycling and regaled me with stories of crewing a yacht to the med and cycling home! :biggrin:

A one man band has opened near me in Buckley, and I will try and see what he has to offer.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Recommendations so far - England A - R

Blimey, that was a hell of a lunch hour...

Tried to do them in alphabetical order, with quotes where the recommender has expanded beyond the shop name.

England

Arrow Cycles North Hykham, Lincoln

Avon Valley Cyclery
GrahamG said:
Special mention to Avon Valley Cyclery who have the most amazing range of folders and other esoteric stuff that I've seen outside of York/Oxford/Cambridge/London

AW Cycles, Caversham
Yellow Fang said:
If I want to check out a range of products.

Bakers Bikes, Bishops Stortford, Essex.

Banjo cycles, Newbury
User259iroloboy said:
run by Mark Letters, does a bit of racing (cat.4) or as he likes to joke 'fat boys racing', (he's not fat!) main dealer for - Specialized, Trek, Van Nic. etc. usually price matches, and if (like me) you're in the Newbury Road Club, then 10% discount too!

Bicycle Boutique (No Website) Hillcourt Street, All Saints, Manchester M1 7HU (10am-6pm, M-F; 10am-4pm Sats).
John the Monkey said:
Offers a reasonably priced repair service (eg a fiver for puncture repair including new inner tube). Same day servicing. New/second hand bikes from £60. A small, reasonably priced range of parts and tools (including tyres, inner tubes, puncture kits, lights, locks and multi-tools etc) The Bicycle Boutique is situated in a small shop next to the Sugden Sports Centre.
These guys are great - their stuff is very reasonable, they're more than willing to talk bike with you and offer (good) advice - they matched the best internet price on my Stelvio tyres too.
Tharg2007 said:
yes Bicycle Boutique is good, nice guys.

Bigfoot Bikes Bromley, Kent (nr Croydon, S London)
Buddha said:
Built me a set of wheels, which, despite my best efforts, haven't gone out of true in over a year!

bikelab, Poole.
Simonali said:
Dream bikes galore and staff who know their stuff.

Bike Plus South Croydon
Arnolfini said:
Nice bunch of guys, who are incredibly helpful and really seem to know their stuff!

bikes of macclesfield.
alecstilleyedye said:
not one of the kind of shops that sell top end roadie stuff, but they are excellent for repairs (usually same day) and are the kind of place that will have the bit you need in a hurry in a box somewhere.

they are also stockists of merida, massi and claud butler, among others.

there's also a very good selection of second hand bikes, including a couple just begging to be a good fixie project.

Bright Cycles in Raynes Park, London SW20
ChrisW said:
Knowldgeable, helpful staff, always repair my bikes well. They will normally fix little problems on the spot and will give helpful friendly advice.

That creates a lot of loyalty as far as i'm concerned...and compare that with the bike shop chain "that shall not be named!"

Bristol Bike Workshop, Colston Street Bristol
GrahamG said:
More interested in sorted you out with something practical and fit for purpose than anything else. Also have shedloads of used bikes and old frames which they build up to suit.

Ciclos Uno, 37 New North Road, Hainault, Ilford IG6 2UE Essex

Cliff Pratt & Ken Elleker - Hull

Cycle Heaven, York
Jim77 said:
I live in North Wales and I can highly recommend Cycle Heaven. Not exactly local for me, but the best LBS I have found.

Cyclesense - Tadcaster
Hairy Boy said:
Big shout out for Cyclesense in Tadcaster.

Bought a new Giant Terrago 4 weeks ago and felt some roughness when pedaling in gears 6, 7 and 8 on the rear cartridge (the smaller cogs).

Took the bike back and they've changed the cartridge and the chain to resolve the issue.

I was looking at purchasing the bike on-line to save a small amount of cash, I guess my experience proves the benefit of purchasing from a good local bike shop.

They have a great range of clothing and accessories and offer great advice.

Dorchester Cycles Dorset
mr mag00 said:
always happy to help

Eddie McGrath, Umrston
Tharg2007 said:
they built me a nice set of wheels, very pleased.

Evernden Cycles, Paddock Wood, Kent

Ewood Bikes - Blackburn.
PaulSB said:
Good, friendly and plenty of advice.

Flynnstar cycles, Felixstowe
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Nearly as good as (pedal power, see below) however being open 7 days a week, bank holidays etc is a real winner and means you avoid having to venture into halfrauds.

Fred Williams of Wolverhampton.
Rhythm Thief said:
Still my LBS even though I now live in Monmouth - that's how good they are. Helpful, friendly and they stock a good range of stuff. And I don't think I've ever bought anything without them giving me a discount.
Gary D said:
Another vote here for Fred Williams.

I collected my new Bianchi from them at the weekend and the service I have received right from the first visit to browse, through the test ride, and then coming up with a final specification has been great. They (Steve) were very flexible and accomodating with changing things on the bike and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. If the follow up service is as good, then I shall keep going back there - even though it is not my nearest LBS.

I would also agree with RT comments about the range of bikes they stock. For what is quite a small shop, they have an incredible choice - Bianchi, Trek, Felt, Wilier, Pinarello, Dolan etc.

Wolvesandy said:
Another one for Fred Williams, as whats already been said, very friendly and helpfull, got both my bikes from them, the follow up sevice is just as good

snapper 37 said:
...especially for repairs/upgrades to high end bikes.

Jack Hateleys on the A449 in Fordhouses, Wolverhampton
snapper 37 said:
do a decent service for £15 and don't rob you. Absolutely crap at bike fitting though and only sell low end models.

John's Bikes Bristol
GrahamG said:
very helpful and I've only bought a couple of things but get the 'feel good' factor every time. Good stock of clothing too.

Langdale Lightweights Westdale Lane, Mapperley, Nottingham
Big T said:
They are exclusively a roadie shop, so no MTB stuff. He doesn't carry a vast range but he's very helpful and will try to match internet prices if he can.

Minster Cycles - Beverley
HelenD123 said:
I'll second that. They were very helpful when I went in as a complete novice last summer looking for some clothing for my first cycling holiday. I've been back since for servicing and other bits and had good service.

Pedal Power, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Always well stocked and the customer care Adrian gives is first class.

Pedal Revolution Bethel Street Norwich
wafflycat]For buying a bike said:
biggest choice. They do brands such as Bianchi, Giant, Cervelo, Trek.

Phil Corley Cycles, Milton Keynes
Alcdrew said:
None of the people that work there are 'sales people' so can come across as a bit ?(don't really know the right word for it, but a bit offish) but they are all bikers, who know how bikes work and whats good for what. And they have some lovely machines in there if you have a spare 4k... but still do cheap (but not rubbish) bikes as well.
beancounter said:

Rick Green Cycles, 61 Wilmslow Road, Handforth, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 3EN
John the Monkey said:
Stock Specialized, Giant, Bianchi and Raleigh bikes, and a range of tools, clothes, parts and accessories.

Great service, friendly people - they saved me once when one of my tyres exploded in fairly spectacular fashion by opening up the shop early and fitting the new tyre for me while I got warm again (it was December!) Bought my Giant from them and was very impressed by their willingness to answer daft questions, let me try bikes out, and it was set up very well for me to ride away when I took delivery.

Fossyant said:
Second Rick Greens - and son Paul - he's built a fair number of wheels for me - they lasted years with no truing issues

nom de plum said:
another vote for Rick Green in Handforth...
great service..
they do very good prices for regulars...
real cycle enthusiasts...
Paul a very good machanic...
And you can talk bikes all morning with them

Ride Cycle Works, Lower Parkstone, Poole, Dorset
mr mag00 said:
for the serious off road and road kit

Rob Winstanley, Anlaby Road. Hull
Admin said:
Specialized dealer and all-round nice bloke.

Rotec Cycles, Shinfield
Yellow Fang said:
if I want to get anything done

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
England S-Z, Scotland, Wales

Spa Cycles - Harrogate
sadjack said:
I traveled out to Harrogate to buy my Dawes Super Galaxy from Spa Cycles, mainly because they were one of the few (only?) shops to have them in stock and available to sit on. Enjoyed the chat with the guy who served me, a guy who obviously loved cycling and regaled me with stories of crewing a yacht to the med and cycling home!

Specialized Cycles, Connaught Road, Norwich
Wafflycat said:
bikes built from parts to customer specification. Also for *excellent* bike servicing, repairs, bike bits and bobs, folders.. The guys there really know their stuff. It's my first port of call for anything bike related locally. Plus, if you want a hand-built wheel, this is the place.

The Bike Factory Chester
custardpie said:
excellent service; very helpful; too busy on a Saturday tho'!
Chris James said:
The Bike Factory was set up as Davies Brothers Cycles outgrew their shop in Cuppin Street (now the premises are La Tasca). At that point it was always by far the best shop in Chster and the one all the club cyclists used to hang around in.

The bicycle repair man, Prudhoe, northumberland.
ash68 said:
good range of bikes, accessories, plenty of good advice and friendly and knowledgable staff

The Edge Cycleworks, Chester
dodgy said:
the staff are top and they actually ride, too

The Edge Cycleworks Lancaster
punkypossum said:
really friendly helpful staff and they will spend ages with you to make sure they get you on the right bike, size and all... Also happy to let you have a test ride and will assess your position on the bike while you are testriding...

Try Cycling in Kirkburton, Huddersfield.
Chris James said:
It's an old scjhool type bike shop. Not a huge amount of stock but seemingly a tardis like back room from where they can produce lots of odds and sods seemingly at will.

Both the main guys in there seem a bit shy and / or brusque on first aquaintance but give good advice based on your needs rather than what they want to sell to you.

TSW Woodborough
Joe24 said:
It was where i bought my bike from. Had trouble with my rearbrake even when it went into there to be fixed and ended up fixing it myself.
The guy has been very helpfull though, has fitted chains for me with no labour charge, and when i needed a new cassette after the chain had worn it down and i had just had the chain fitted and took the cassette off another new bike and put it on. Even let me pay for it the next day because i didnt have any more money on me. That was nice.
He also does Giants(maybe other makes) cheaper as he is a factory store so he will knock a decent amount off for a small amount of paint being chipped off.

York Cycle Works, York

Scotland

Alpine Bikes Aberdeen

Bike Trax Edinburgh

Freewheelin' Cycles Edinburgh

The Bicycle Works Edinburgh
gavintc said:
On the club run on Sat, I decided to ask everyone I was alongside which bike shop they recommended. Bicycle Works was the shop of choice.

Walkers' Cycling Ayrshire
KillieKosmos said:
Staff are all cyclists, organise MTB and road rides, own cycling club etc.

Wales

Beics Betws Betws Y Coed
Dormouse said:
I have always had good service and have bought 2 MTBs from Beics Betws in Betws y Coed. In winter, phone before travelling to check when they will be open as they tend to close in the quiet times out of the holiday season.

Beiciau Hobbs (Hobbs Bikes for those who haven't already guessed) in Carmarthen.
Lardyboy said:
Brilliant

County Cycles in Cross Hands, they are right on the roundabout on the A48.
Lardyboy said:
Excellent set of boys in there.

East End Cycles, Colwyn Bay
sadjack said:
Small shop, good no nonsense advice reasonable rates, but perhaps not the stock, but for repairs and bits brill.

Hughes Cycles, Rhyl
Sadjack said:
When I worked in Rhyl 7 years ago I swore by Hughes Cycles's, family run at the time and excellent mechanics. Not been there recently but note they have had a major refit of the shop by the look of it the last time I passed.

Revolution Bikes Bangor
Plax said:
Work colleague always recommends them, and since I couldn't get my front mech sorted, thought I'd give them a try.
Sorted my problem and also tweaked my brakes (basically they did a "first service" on the bike, as I'd brought it over the internet and I wasn't happy the brakes either). Pleased with the service and I'm going to take my badly abused Hybrid there for a service next month I think.

Top Bottom