lcd condensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Where are you storing the bike. I'd suggest damp has got into the control unit. Had this on cheap bike computers. Might need a while in the sun, and storing in a dry place. Check the seals, and if there are any water ingress points.

I've seen this myself when I passed a Viking ebike and could see the LCD screen had water ingress and I've seen it mentioned on forum postings for quite high end models. If you ride in the rain etc I suppose any tiny weakness in the seals will cause this. I suppose its a case of taking apart cleaning, hair dryer and then trying to improve seals and perhaps leaving in a few of those silicon bags from packaging that absorb damp. I personally think those simpler bubble button controllers are better on ebikes, yes you don't get all the data just a few LEDs but they seem to work for years without issues.

I've found that burying a 'damp' electronic item in (uncooked!) rice, slightly warmed in the microwave, to be an excellent dry-er-out-er. Obviously remove batteries and indeed anything else you can remove.
Even better is a big heap of those silicon gel bags as they don't have the dust that is inevitable with rice. However, when something like that gets damp or wet, you need to rescue it ASAP and by the time a box of silicon gel packets arrive in the post from ebay or wherever, it might well be too late for the rescue.
Just bury it in the dry rice, not stirring things around too much, while waiting for the silicon gel packets to arrive. I've rescued a couple of phones and a camera with rice.

Alex321

Veteran
I've found that burying a 'damp' electronic item in (uncooked!) rice, slightly warmed in the microwave, to be an excellent dry-er-out-er. Obviously remove batteries and indeed anything else you can remove.
Even better is a big heap of those silicon gel bags as they don't have the dust that is inevitable with rice. However, when something like that gets damp or wet, you need to rescue it ASAP and by the time a box of silicon gel packets arrive in the post from ebay or wherever, it might well be too late for the rescue.
Just bury it in the dry rice, not stirring things around too much, while waiting for the silicon gel packets to arrive. I've rescued a couple of phones and a camera with rice.

That's going to need an awful lot of rice!

Unless the unit can be separated from the bike, of course.

OP
OP
H

Haza

Regular

Thanks for your reply

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Warming the rice BEFORE adding the electronic item, I assume! :whistle:

My nephew drowned his iPhone when he got caught out in a thunderstorm. He got a new phone, but the old one was placed in a bag of rice and the bag put in a warm airing cupboard. It got forgotten about. Weeks or months later a family member found the bag of rice with the phone in it. They plugged the phone in to charge the battery and it immediately came back to life!

Warming the rice BEFORE adding the electronic item, I assume! :whistle:

My nephew drowned his iPhone when he got caught out in a thunderstorm. He got a new phone, but the old one was placed in a bag of rice and the bag put in a warm airing cupboard. It got forgotten about. Weeks or months later a family member found the bag of rice with the phone in it. They plugged the phone in to charge the battery and it immediately came back to life!

Yes indeed - slightly warm the dry rice in the microwave; a few seconds will do it.
THEN bury the electronic thing in the rice and leave for a minimum of 48 hours, preferably in a place such as an airing cupboard or similar warm dry place.
Glad to hear it worked for an iPhone, too!
The only possible downside I can see of rice is the starchy dust that it can produce, but if you don't stir it about to actually raise the dust, but just gently bury the item in it, it doesn't seem to have much ability to penetrate. And if something electronic is that wet, you've got nothing to lose by trying it. One of my phones was actually dropped down a storm drain accidentally by a taxi driver who was trying to help me out of the taxi when my eyesight was still very poor; he was mortified, lifted the grid and delved down into the murky depths. He wanted to take me there and then to buy a new phone, but I told him not to worry and that I'd dismantle it and bury it in rice to see what happened, and let him know. We swapped phone numbers and he was delighted to hear from me 72 hours later - using the dropped-in-the-drain phone!

This thing about the phone and the rice is a well know thing
and it often works

the problem is that it also very easily introduces dust into the phone
and rice dust loves to moisture from the atmosphere and swell up

It is not really recommended to put a complete phone into a tub of rice - you are better of just putting in on top of a warm radiatior - preferably insulated by a thick cloth - and leave it there for a few days to dry completely

if you need to make it quicker put it in a tub of rice - but mae sure the rice has not moved around recently and put the phone on top of something else to keep it well out of contact with the actual rice
The rice's function is purely to create a very dry environment - it should not be in contact with the phone really

Top Bottom