LCD TVs - which one to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
simoncc said:
I've never seen HD televison, but the new style LCD and plasma TVs don't seem to have better picture quality than CRT TVs to me.
Same here, I've never seen HD.

Must admit, from the TVs I've seen in the shops, I've never been that excited by the picture quality in LCDs compared to old tube CRT. I was watching a footie match - I saw a sort of blurring effect behind the running player on the LCD. Can't see that blur on CRT.

Maybe my eyes are cack or as someone suggested, the TV's not setup right, or it's a cheapo TV.

domtyler

Über Member
This Dabs Value one is only £300! I very much doubt if you would be able to tell the difference in picture quality between this and a very much more expensive model. You can do stuff for the 2-300 quid you would save.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
This Dabs Value one is only £300! I very much doubt if you would be able to tell the difference in picture quality between this and a very much more expensive model. You can do stuff for the 2-300 quid you would save.
Hmm. Dabs. Has anyone ordered from them before? Are they good?
Could buy some bike stuff with the left over dosh.

U

User482

I've seen the BBC HD channel on an HD LCD telly and it is a significant improvement on the current transmission quality. Much more detailed and 3D.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
I've seen the BBC HD channel on an HD LCD telly and it is a significant improvement on the current transmission quality. Much more detailed and 3D.

Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh...... please don't tell me we all have to go and buy red and blue glasses again!

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
Hmm. Dabs. Has anyone ordered from them before? Are they good?
Could buy some bike stuff with the left over dosh.

I have used them for most of my electronics/computer stuff for about ten years and have rarely if ever had had any issues. And their web site is the best in the business.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if the perfect picture is key, get to the opticians and make sure all's well with your eyes. otherwise it's as sensible to buy an expensive tv as it is to buy a colnago and just ride it to the pub.

simoncc

alecstilleyedye said:
if the perfect picture is key, get to the opticians and make sure all's well with your eyes. otherwise it's as sensible to buy an expensive tv as it is to buy a colnago and just ride it to the pub.

But do expensive TVs have better pictures? I remember when CRTs were the only option, and people used to swear that expensive makes like Sony had better pictures than cheaper makes. Manufacturers like Sony also told people in adverts that their picture was better than others. I could never tell the difference between one CRT TV and another CRT then, and I can't tell the difference now between my old CRT and the new LCD TVs nearly everyone I know has now got. There is something of the emperors new clothes going on I reckon.

domtyler

Über Member
I have a fairly old wide-screen Bush TV at home. We have Sky. I was really looking at the picture last night and I can honestly say it is great.

I go in to look at the LCD telly's and I can honestly say that the picture is not so great.

I have seen HD demo'ed, however, on a large new screen and it was far better than my existing picture.

Conclusion, in ten years time I will probably be enjoying all or most of my viewing at home on a large HD screen, until then I will make my existing Bush last as long as possible and then go and buy a cheapy flat screen replacement for the interim until HD is widespread.

domtyler

Über Member
I fell out with them after they sold me something that wasn't as decribed on the site, and denied responsibility.

To be fair though there aren't many people you haven't fallen out with! :biggrin::tongue:

cannondale boy

Über Member
I would only buy a lcd if my tv blew up...i was considering it a while back, but popped in to comet looked at the t.v's and thought there crap. If you look closely about 1-2 feet you can see the pixels, i have to say that not all the lcds were that bad. But you only get for what you pay for.

I'll stick with my sony which has lasted me 8 or so years and has never let me down. Another thing when going for a tv dont go for extended warranty its a rip off. Saying that there is always one bad apple in the bunch of electrics that you buy in your life time. Its just pot luck i guess.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Used dabs many times myself.

OLED sadly isn't quite on the horizon not for the things I'm talking about anyway, much as I realy, really, wish it was - they'll be a lot more pdas and mobile's with oleds and tiny tvs this year. For the size of tvs people are wanting, realistically we're talking 2010-12. Some technologies have already failed that looked very promising. That said I think OLED will win out and samsung demonstrated a large 31 inch OLED tv at CES in Las Vegas only the other week.

LCDs may not be that dirt cheap as LCD was only ever devised as a budget technology.

BBC HD is a great test channel. It's supposed to be a proper channel but they keep on arsing around with repeats and they still haven't cranked up it's hours. Ofcon's plan is that something like 90% of the population should be able to get the High Definition Multiplex on freeview that would show probably 2 bbc HD channels, ITV HD (launches soon), C4 HD and five HD (we now nothing of the plausibility of five launching one). Unfortunately it involves buying new equipment in the form of a STB even if you already have a freeview box.

Top Bottom