LCD TVs - which one to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am fussy about picture quality and many of the LCD TVs I've seen had pretty poor picture quality. Having said that, the quality of many digital broadcasts is awful too. My mother has Virgin cable (ex NTL) and my best mate has Freeview and from what I've seen, a lot of the channels are using really low bit rates. The picture quality isn't too bad until something moves, then there are digital artifacts everywhere!

I've only see HDTV once and that was on a large LCD TV, probably about 40", make/model unknown. It was absolutely stunning :biggrin:! I was hanging about in Milton Keynes waiting for a lift, so I wandered round the shops to kill time. I was just passing a branch of Currys or Dixons and what I saw stopped me dead in my tracks. There was a big LCD TV set up just inside the door, facing out into the mall. An HDTV demo was playing. It showed footage shot from a helicopter swooping about in a mountainous area; it looked like the Alps. I could not only see moss growing on the rocks, I could see small cracks in the rockfaces and I could see bubbles in the water of a waterfall. I can see why Hollywood stars are desperately worried about what HDTV will do their images - their cosmetic surgeons and make-up teams will have to work overtime!

Top Bottom