Le Tour de Scammonden - a lumpy little forum ride from Hebden Bridge. *** Saturday, Oct 21st, 2023? ***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Sorry Colin, assumed it was off so didn’t check til now. Unfortunately I’ve got no days off between now and September that aren’t family holiday

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was feeling a bit rough anyway. Let's try to find a September date for it, nearer the time.

I need to find time for other promised rides too but I have family bookings taking up half of August.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Unfortunately, my sister was ill when I visited her in Devon recently and I caught a dose of lurgy*** too. I am nowhere near as ill as she was but I have still been feeling pretty rough since then. The longest ride that I have felt up to since was 45 minutes with just 1 climb. So, alas, I am at least a week or maybe even two-plus away from being able to manage a long and/or tough forum ride - sorry!

It would be a real shame for you all to miss out on this great weather though. @GuyBoden - maybe you could take over the Scammonden ride for me and do it while the good weather lasts?

I will try to do the Humber Bridge ride later in the month but might have to skip it this year. The nights are drawing in and I don’t fancy riding back in potentially dark, wet conditions.

And there is the postponed Harrogate ride too.

Oh, and my Otterton ride in Devon! I am going back down in early October so I will try to do that one then.

I was looking forward to these rides. It is a pity how things have turned out, but let's hope that I can still do some of them.

*** She took a Covid test and it was negative but I am not convinced that she did it properly. I have run out of tests so I can't test myself but this feels very much like the 2 bouts of Covid that I had before!

GuyBoden

Guru
Unfortunately, my sister was ill when I visited her in Devon recently and I caught a dose of lurgy*** too. I am nowhere near as ill as she was but I have still been feeling pretty rough since then. The longest ride that I have felt up to since was 45 minutes with just 1 climb. So, alas, I am at least a week or maybe even two-plus away from being able to manage a long and/or tough forum ride - sorry!

It would be a real shame for you all to miss out on this great weather though. @GuyBoden - maybe you could take over the Scammonden ride for me and do it while the good weather lasts?

I will try to do the Humber Bridge ride later in the month but might have to skip it this year. The nights are drawing in and I don’t fancy riding back in potentially dark, wet conditions.

And there is the postponed Harrogate ride too.

Oh, and my Otterton ride in Devon! I am going back down in early October so I will try to do that one then.

I was looking forward to these rides. It is a pity how things have turned out, but let's hope that I can still do some of them.

*** She took a Covid test and it was negative but I am not convinced that she did it properly. I have run out of tests so I can't test myself but this feels very much like the 2 bouts of Covid that I had before!

Get well soon, I don't feel confident enough to take over the ride in Calderdale as I don't know the area and would probably get lost, even with a sat nav, I remember getting lost with @colly last year and ending up in the Happy Valley tv show crime area.:laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Mixenden???
Sowerby Bridge.

I made the mistake of assuming that everyone was following me on the descent of Steep Ln after our cafe stop. Colly and Guy had stopped to take photos and we had taken a left turn and were out of sight once they got going again.

Get well soon, I don't feel confident enough to take over the ride in Calderdale as I don't know the area and would probably get lost, even with a sat nav.
Okay, well let's try and get this one in towards the end of the month then.

I will see if I feel up to the hundred mile Humber Bridge ride before that.

Dadam

Hope you're feeling better @ColinJ
Is this likely to happen this month?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hope you're feeling better @ColinJ
I didn't feel awful, and do feel slightly better, thanks. Unfortunately, that still isn't feeling good! I did an 11 km test ride yesterday and added back in a climb which I have been avoiding since I came back from Devon. I got up the climb but it was a struggle and I felt a bit sick at the summit. I think that was enough of a warning to make the answer to this question...
Is this likely to happen this month?
... a reluctant 'No; sorry'!

I am off on my travels again in a couple of weeks time, so the dates for Yorkshire rides will be pushed back towards the end of October. Let's hope for the 21st or 28th? Realistically, this ride should be possible before the winter, but I am beginning to think that the Harrogate and Humber Bridge rides might have to wait until next year now.

That is 4 weeks of lurgy for me, and counting. My sister still hasn't completely shaken off her lurgy, and that is 7 weeks now! We have both had enough now and would like to get back to normal, ta very much.

GuyBoden

Guru
I didn't feel awful, and do feel slightly better, thanks. Unfortunately, that still isn't feeling good! I did an 11 km test ride yesterday and added back in a climb which I have been avoiding since I came back from Devon. I got up the climb but it was a struggle and I felt a bit sick at the summit. I think that was enough of a warning to make the answer to this question...

... a reluctant 'No; sorry'!

I am off on my travels again in a couple of weeks time, so the dates for Yorkshire rides will be pushed back towards the end of October. Let's hope for the 21st or 28th? Realistically, this ride should be possible before the winter, but I am beginning to think that the Harrogate and Humber Bridge rides might have to wait until next year now.

That is 4 weeks of lurgy for me, and counting. My sister still hasn't completely shaken off her lurgy, and that is 7 weeks now! We have both had enough now and would like to get back to normal, ta very much.

Sounds quite bad, I hope you are ok soon. :ohmy:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds quite bad, I hope you are ok soon. :ohmy:
It really isn't a big deal as long as I don’t exert myself too much. It's the way one feels when coming down with a cold before it really gets a grip.

My sister says that she feels the same. She is okay pottering about in the garden but anything energetic makes her feel rough. She did have it bad initially though. At least I missed out on that.

I am going to nip out for another short ride today but will be careful not to overdo it. In fact, I will use my other bike to make it easier this time. (Yes, it was a BIG mistake to climb a 10% hill in a 42/15 gear when not feeling well...! :whistle:) I have a new mirror on the Cannondale which I haven't tested yet. It is much smaller and neater than my other mirrors. I want to find out if it is TOO small.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Same lack of oomph today, but I was okay just tootling along and avoiding my usual steeper little local hills.

I liked the mirror. It is very neat and easy to fold away. It is fiddly to adjust the angle when riding though. It only takes a small movement to take the mirror from too far one way to too far the other. When exactly right I got a pretty good view behind me under my right arm. My other mirrors stick out more so I look over my arm when using them.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A bottom bracket-based motor would certainly help, but I think I would still be struggling on the steepest climbs with a hub motor the way that I am at the moment.

My sister finally got round to contacting her doctor. He wants her to have a chest x-ray after 7+ weeks of coughing. That will be in a week or so. Hopefully, it won't show anything sinister. She sounds about 75% better on the phone

I still assume that I caught my lurgy from her, but I suppose that I could have picked it up from someone else on the train down in which case we might not have the same thing, which could explain why I have a persistent sore throat and she has a persistent cough.

The sun is shining so it is time for me to go out on my bike and do...

... 10-12 kms! I still can't face more than that.

I checked the mirors again. I was wrong... I look under my arm in both cases but the old mirror sticks out more so I can't use it with my right hand on the top of the bar. I can see the new, more inward mirror with my hand in any of the 3 usual positions (top, drop, or hood).

Top Bottom