leaking hydraulic brake calliper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
You can get Allen key head screws, normally black, that are much better that those slot head junk. And better than split pins.
not much better. I had those in the tektro brakes on a Boardman. if they're in too tight the bolt head can easily get rounded off…

si_c

Guru
the lbs I spoke to said that the screw needs to be just hand tight plus a quarter turn, but that people over-tighten them (ribble presumably)…
Sounds about right, I rarely do them above hand tight and have never had one work it's way loose. Never had one that's rounded out either.

I doubt Ribble do much with them from the factory, they likely just assemble. There's no reason to mess with anything in the OEM kits that come, it's just a case of screwing to the frame.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
any point in putting plumber's tape in the thread where the new calliper meets the hose?
Definitely not. If fitted right it won't leak. Fragments of that tape can make their way in to the hydraulic lines which will be a whole new world of pain. The compression olive is what gives the seal.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well it’s done. biggest pita was the bracket for the frame. the bike is sitting on some kitchen roll to check for leaks.

lever travel is more than i’d like, but i imagine going for a ride on local potholey roads and then doing a mini bleed should improve matters…

thanks all for the advice, has made all the difference between paying lbs and not. and i should get plenty of use from the workstand :smile:

Top Bottom