leaking hydraulic brake calliper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
how much fluid do I need?

si_c

Guru
50ml is probably more than enough, but it is good to drain the fluid entirely first though. You can then push new fluid from the caliper.

si_c

Guru
so fill from the bottom and degas from the top then...
That's the way I always do it when filling fresh. Filling from the bottom helps push any air bubbles upwards to the top, and out the shifter. I usually use the bleed cup at the top to collect the fluid as it comes through as it helps make the whole process a bit easier.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
I have had problems with 105 callipers. One, like your where the seals just seem to leak no matter what I tried, another where the screw holding the pads in was totally seized, this screw is made of cheese and not even hard cheese, more like cream cheese. In both cases I just bought new callipers as there was nothing I could do to rescue them, even with disassembly.
Yes, had this cheese issue too. One area where Shimano are very poor. Calipers are crap. Period.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
You say that, but have you ever used Tektro hydraulics? I suffered them once, Shimano are Rolls Royce in comparison!
Eh no, but judging by the mech ones I've seen I can imagine. I had 7000 series 105 on a new Cube and they were just pure dung. From constant squealing to lousy feel. And the cheese pad screw was the last straw.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
I have had problems with 105 callipers. One, like your where the seals just seem to leak no matter what I tried, another where the screw holding the pads in was totally seized, this screw is made of cheese and not even hard cheese, more like cream cheese. In both cases I just bought new callipers as there was nothing I could do to rescue them, even with disassembly.
the drilling out of the screws is where this all started...

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well I've decided to take the plunge and replace the calliper myself. thanks to all for advice.

I was going to let lbs do it but have decided to spend the money (£30 plus surcharge for providing own component) on more oil and a bike maintenance stand. suffice to say I will be swapping the screw out for a split pin.

I'll let you know how I get on ;)

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
well I've decided to take the plunge and replace the calliper myself. thanks to all for advice.

I was going to let lbs do it but have decided to spend the money (£30 plus surcharge for providing own component) on more oil and a bike maintenance stand. suffice to say I will be swapping the screw out for a split pin.

I'll let you know how I get on ;)
You can get Allen key head screws, normally black, that are much better that those slot head junk. And better than split pins.

Top Bottom