Learning a musicla instrument, is it too late???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Not too late maggot. I have a friend in late 60's taking piano lessons at present. It was perhaps slightly embarrassing at his exam time to be aware that the average age range of the other candidates would be early teens, or perhaps pre teen, but the exam was in private, so what the heck!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I recently treated myself to an electric guitar and perhaps more importantly to a tutorial book which came complete with a CD so that you can hear what you're supposed to be learning. Then by setting aside 30 mins to an hour per evening for practise, I just got on with it and I'm amazed at how much progress I've made. (I'm not saying I'm any good, just loads better than I expected after about three months.) So the short answer is yes. The only other thing I would add is that it helps to have a few clear targets of what you want to achieve and you can then work towards them parallel to the stuff the book says you have to do. This is more rewarding because it feels like you've done something under your own steam.

davidwalton

I started on French Horn just last year. OK, I have been playing other instruments before, but still learning.

You don't stop having an ability to learn as you get a little older. In fact, more often than not, you can focus a lot better and achieve more quicker as a result.

red_tom

davidwalton said:
I started on French Horn just last year. OK, I have been playing other instruments before, but still learning.

Did you listen to the French Horn based book of the week on radio 4 recently? Very good - reminded me of a bit of Tim 'French Revolutions' Moore's style. I think the book is I found my Horn which is on Amazon here

davidwalton

red_tom said:
Did you listen to the French Horn based book of the week on radio 4 recently? Very good - reminded me of a bit of Tim 'French Revolutions' Moore's style. I think the book is I found my Horn which is on Amazon here

No, not a radio person.

I do work from the Arban and Agostino Belloli studies mainly, plus your standard pieces like the Mozart Horn concertos for some light fun.

I studied other brass instruments to Grade 8 plus standard, so learning the French Horn for me is more about getting my left hand working and sorting out pitching at the top end. The harmonics are very close on French Horn, hence the difficulty of pitching that all have.

Keith Oates

Janner
Maggot, there is an old saying that says "you're never to old to learn". Whether that applies to musical instruments I don't know but you could try and then advise us the reults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

byegad

Legendary Member
I started playing the Alto recorder 18 months ago. I now play a Bass, Soprano, Alto and Sopranino recorder. Not well but improving. I'm 56.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
davidwalton said:

You don't stop having an ability to learn as you get a little older. In fact, more often than not, you can focus a lot better and achieve more quicker as a result.

Respect, David

I played many different brass instruments over many more years in a number of brass bands up to Section 1 competition level. Although french horns are not used in brass bands, a friend lent me one to try and I found it fiendish. Couldn't master pitch accuracy, and my intonation was dreadful. Love the sound of them nevertheless. Keep at it.

yoyo

You're never too old to learn. I have perfoming diplomas in piano and organ but accepted the challenge to learn the trumpet. My poor lips!! I did grade IV in a term and just got a merit. The week prior to the exam the brass teacher told me that I should never play trumpet and was more suited to trombone so I learnt my way round that. I've always loved the French horn and did grade III in a term- I couldn't get the low notes, so had to back out of a higher grade. A fabulous instrument the horn - I could play it all day but I'd never make competition standard! I have also attempted the cello but didn't apply myself properly. I was 42 at the time and now 48.

Basically - spend 20-30 minutes most days on your chosen instrument. Longer, irregular sessions won't work as you will spend most of your time catching up on where you were the last time you touched it. Happy music making!!

davidwalton

Gerry Attrick said:
Respect, David

I played many different brass instruments over many more years in a number of brass bands up to Section 1 competition level. Although french horns are not used in brass bands, a friend lent me one to try and I found it fiendish. Couldn't master pitch accuracy, and my intonation was dreadful. Love the sound of them nevertheless. Keep at it.

It is a pity they don't use French horns in Brass Bands :sad:

I used to play Flugel Horn before I moved to Essex, but after hunting around found that there would not be any opportunity to continue playing Flugel Horn with any Band in Essex area. I therefore moved on to Tenor Horn and practised like hell for months. Got to the point where I would be of use to just about any level of band. However, I could not find a band to play with. Either they were just a rehearsal type band, not pushing forward, too far away, or already have enough Tenor horn players.

Result is that I sold the Tenor Horn and bought a French Horn. Now play Windband (parts written for Horn in F and in treble clef, which is what I require).

Like many, I have now given up on Brass Bands. Anyway, the French Horn is the most involving instrument I have ever played, and would not give it up for another now.

Learned instrument list to-date:-

Recorder
Flute
Piccolo Flute
Alto Sax
Trumpet
Cornet
Flugel Horn
Tenor Horn
French Horn = WIP.

I kept the best for last :biggrin:

davidwalton

yoyo said:
You're never too old to learn. I have perfoming diplomas in piano and organ but accepted the challenge to learn the trumpet. My poor lips!! I did grade IV in a term and just got a merit. The week prior to the exam the brass teacher told me that I should never play trumpet and was more suited to trombone so I learnt my way round that. I've always loved the French horn and did grade III in a term- I couldn't get the low notes, so had to back out of a higher grade. A fabulous instrument the horn - I could play it all day but I'd never make competition standard! I have also attempted the cello but didn't apply myself properly. I was 42 at the time and now 48.

Basically - spend 20-30 minutes most days on your chosen instrument. Longer, irregular sessions won't work as you will spend most of your time catching up on where you were the last time you touched it. Happy music making!!

Yes, little and often is far better than loads every now and then. Get a basic book, like 'A Tune a Day' and use it. Don't try and take short cuts, they are only for those that have already learned the long way.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
davidwalton said:
It is a pity they don't use French horns in Brass Bands :sad:

I used to play Flugel Horn before I moved to Essex, but after hunting around found that there would not be any opportunity to continue playing Flugel Horn with any Band in Essex area. I therefore moved on to Tenor Horn and practised like hell for months. Got to the point where I would be of use to just about any level of band. However, I could not find a band to play with. Either they were just a rehearsal type band, not pushing forward, too far away, or already have enough Tenor horn players.

Result is that I sold the Tenor Horn and bought a French Horn. Now play Windband (parts written for Horn in F and in treble clef, which is what I require).

Like many, I have now given up on Brass Bands. Anyway, the French Horn is the most involving instrument I have ever played, and would not give it up for another now.

Learned instrument list to-date:-

Recorder
Flute
Piccolo Flute
Alto Sax
Trumpet
Cornet
Flugel Horn
Tenor Horn
French Horn = WIP.

I kept the best for last :biggrin:

Impressive list David. I hope you have understanding neighbours:smile:

Sadly brass bands are suffering in many areas, but we are fortunate here as within a twenty mile radius we have at least seven bands, most of which compete regularly. I no longer play as my work hours are horribly irregular, but I played for a total of over forty years on baritone, cornet, flugel, trombone, trumpet (in an orchestra) and latterly euphonium (with which I fell in love). It is such a shame that local bands don't get more support from schools and businesses.

davidwalton

Gerry Attrick said:
Impressive list David. I hope you have understanding neighbours:smile:

We don't know the neighbours at all yet, but nobody has knocked on the door so far. Generally practise around 3 to 5pm, and house is fully detached with double glazing so shouldn't be causing any probs.

Top Bottom