Learning Curve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
Actually its the 2014 model jefmcg and just checked specs and it says FSA Sora? Thanks for your interest, I do think I can trust this guy but this is all so new to me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe he's recommending a better cassette...I can't see how a cassette will be that influential

A friend and occasional ride buddy of mine and @jefmcg has the same bike, and although not ridden much, she's not complained about the shifting other than having a few new to roadbikes shifting hiccups

OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
Maybe he's recommending a better cassette...I can't see how a cassette will be that influential

A friend and occasional ride buddy of mine and @jefmcg has the same bike, and although not ridden much, she's not complained about the shifting other than having a few new to roadbikes shifting hiccups

Think will persevere a little while longer see does it bed in (or if I bed in lol) before changing anything else. He just made such a difference to the brakes for me and his comment about the cassette puzzled me.

thanks for the video link Turbo Rider......so much to learn

ayceejay

Guru
This is the same bike my wife has and personally I don't find any of it crisp neither the braking or the gear changing but I think this is what you get on a bike that is often on sale (hers was). The FSA Sora thing means that the chain set is FSA, a common cost saving item, and the changers are Sora.
The problems you have point to negligence on Evan's part I think rather than the components as you get what you pay for, personally I wouldn't upgrade anything but ride it as is and get anther one of better quality later.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Whether the bike is on sale or not a well set up bike will brake and change gears perfectly well, just sounds to me like the bike was originally set up poorly and the lbs is after a sale after seeing the "im new to cycling and will believe anything the LBS tells me " sign over the OPs head , no offense @Lilmo .
My commuting bike is a mixture of claris , sora and a cheap cassette and tektro brakes as i built it up myself it shifts and stops as crisply as my sram equipped weekender which would cost 3 times as much on a cost by cost comparison.
I must agree with @vickster on hood shape as i prefer shimano hoods to sram as i have podgy fingers but both work equally well and its a preference .

OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
None taken cybernight, that's just how it is, I'm as green as the hills.^_^As in title its all a learning curve. It's good to hear everyone's comments and opinions. It all helps.

@Lilmo I've had a look at your bike specs. The brakes do indeed look crap; and I'm a huge fan of cross levers, so two good purchases. In fact, I'm just realising after 2 1/2 years that I should probably try to stop relying on the cross lever brakes - I'm not sure I could ride a bike without them!

Then have a read of this http://road.cc/content/review/100555-shimano-sora-3500-groupset
They say the cassette is comparable to Tiagra, which I have on my bike. I once had a gear cable replaced at 3am in the Scottish highlands** by a volunteer who had only ever worked before with retro down tube shifters, which aren't even indexed (yeah, it's a long story :smile: ). Within an hour I had my 10 perfectly indexed gears to get me back south.

Your bike is a bargain, but it is not a cheap bike. Evans are a decent bike shop and they want you to come back and back. They want you upgrading, servicing, buying lots of kit, buying you next bike from them. They want you to love and trust them. So they have a process where your bike is checked by a mechanic before it leaves the store. Clearly there was a snafu and that didn't happen. A lose headset is more than an oversight, it wasn't looked at all. These things happen. Take it back there if you can, tell them you haven't been able to get the indexing right since it was new and demand they sort it out. If it needs a new cassette (which I doubt) they should replace it. Oh, and while you are there, talk to the manager. He'll*** be very concerned to hear that a bike left his showroom in that condition. You could have sued them if you were in an accident due to the fault, and I imagine Evans would replace all management in that store if that happened.

My final list of 2 bikes was a Cannondale and the Giant I bought. Cross levers (which you now have) and red paint made the decision for me. It's a very good bike. You are really going to enjoy riding it.

** ok, technically it was the lowlands, but it was very lumpy for a southerner.
*** it's almost always a man. Let us know if it isn't.

OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
Thankyou for taking the time to do that jefmcg (how do you get names highlighted:huh:). Yes the cross levers are brilliant, though with the new calipers I think I could have coped without them, but they do offer another position which is good for my weak wrists. You're right and I do enjoy the bike, its so light, it's just a bit of niggle really with the gears. I should have complained to Evans right away, I know now, as like you say it hadn't been checked properly. I'm a bit soft and hate complaining but then the outcome could have been more serious so I suppose I should bring their attention to it. I haven't ridden it all week as the weather has been so crap so I've had the hybrid out so will ride it once more so I can explain exactly what is happening and give them a ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom