Learning Spanish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
I am very new to it. Just 4 weeks in. We are using a course book but looking at it between lessons is not much fun. The idea of a Zoom type one to one on a regular basis would keep me motivated. I have Duolingo on my phone which I use everyday.

Why not do as @HobbesOnTour did, and get stuck in Mexico for a year?!
I highly recommend it!^_^

@Domus at 4 weeks in you have it all in front of you.
In the early stages I went from excitement to frustration because I just didn't know enough.

Duolingo is great for going back and revising. Just remember it's focused on Latin American Spanish.

However, there was a certain point where all the different parts started to click and the words just started to flow.

The trick is to have enough tools in your box so that if one thing is not working you have another aspect to keep you amused. Eventually they'll all come together!

Reactions: C R

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Domus - my other suggestion would be for you to look to travel and immerse yourself in a Spanish-speaking area where English is hardly used. Galacia in Northern Spain is the type of place where locals couldn't help you out as they're unlikely to speak much English themselves. Holiday destination suggestion for 2022?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
When I married a Spanish señorita I couldn’t speak Spanish and she couldn’t speak English. So I learnt Spanish from her in Spanish like a child learns its first language. In my opinion, “total immersion” (though not necessarily marrying your teacher) is the only way to learn and become fluent in a second language.

Love at first sight then? ;)

It was for me, but it took quite a while for me to work my charm on the future Mrs JtB (through my translator friends) before she felt the same way about me.

We’ve told snippets of our story to a number of people and for our last wedding anniversary my son gave us a diary for us to record our complete story, and maybe we will one day…..
65163D42-9FEF-4FB5-A784-FC1CC7E14491.jpeg

All uphill

Still rolling along
I find an online newspaper adds another dimension; the language is current and it gives an insight into the culture.

Many have short videos, too.

Doesn't do anything for speaking though!

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Been to the Picos several times in the Caterham and stopped for lunch and coffee stops in some remote villages and managed with a few well practised phrases but always struggle when they reply with a question or two. At one place we were about to leave as it seemed full but it turns out they asked us to wait a minute or two while they opened a back room for us. ^_^

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My son married a Mexican lady. When he met her, they could not speak each others language. He did a total immersion course, in Mexico. That, plus 17 years of marriage, and he is fluent in (Mexican) Spanish. Grandson is fluent in English and Spanish, he just learned them both, from birth.

After several attempts to learn, I can order food and drinks, and even that is not perfect ;)

Been to the Picos several times in the Caterham and stopped for lunch and coffee stops in some remote villages and managed with a few well practised phrases but always struggle when they reply with a question or two. At one place we were about to leave as it seemed full but it turns out they asked us to wait a minute or two while they opened a back room for us. ^_^
In a Caterham? I've done it on the bike and its less uncomfortable and scary ^_^

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I recall being forced to do Spanish in the 3rd year at school. As I remember it was a bit easier to pickup than French but that's probably just me.

I tried Duolingo on the free trial for German some time ago and found it a very good method to get some bite sized basics into the grey matter. As a comparison we bought a full set of Learn Italian books etc. on something of a whim a few years back and this more traditional approach was difficult to digest.

Top Bottom