Learning the lesson the hard way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
This morning, I learnt the lesson that its important to take a spare tube / puncture repair kit with me on rides.

Amazing how well a 4 mile walk home in cycling shoes can help to focus the mind!

Anyone else learnt this lesson?

Steve

shippers

Been there.
Tip- small pair of pliers for that time you can't get the metal shard out of the tyre, and you know your repair will last minutes!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Steve H said:
This morning, I learnt the lesson that its important to take a spare tube / puncture repair kit with me on rides.

Amazing how well a 4 mile walk home in cycling shoes can help to focus the mind!

Anyone else learnt this lesson?

Steve
Ah but Sod's law states that the probability of your tyre shredding is inversely proportional to the quantity of tyre boots carried.

ASC1951

Guru
I always carry two, not one, spare tubes, but never any spare tyre. In 40 years cycling I have never had a tyre collapse on me - until yesterday, when a Schwalbe cheapie went off like a gunshot. I set off for the 5 mile trudge back to the nearest LBS in Ilkley, but after half a mile an MTB rider saw me, nipped home for his car and drove me and the bike there. Thanks mate!

Mind you, I always go for recessed cleats so at least I can walk in my road shoes if I have to.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Gerry Attrick said:
Ah but Sod's law states that the probability of your tyre shredding is inversely proportional to the quantity of tyre boots carried.

Correct. That's why you want to carry at least one. ;)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As Otto Van Bismarck said:

"Only a fool learns from his mistakes, a wisemen learns from the mistake of others"

I did a lot of reading before I started bike commuting and the recurring advice was to be prepared for flats. So I've always been prepared for them.

But I got caught out a few times by the mini-winter that we had the last two weeks - had been under-dressed. Now carry my jacket in my pannier in case things turn bad for the homeward journey.

gregster

Went out yesterday for a short blast, 12 miles, and only remembered after 5 that I was running without a spare or repair kit. Fortunately I made it, but wouldn't have fancied the walk if I didn't in SL cleats!! I was without as a friend and I went on Sunday, he double punctured on a pothole and our spares got used. Been meaning to head to LBS to pick up a couple of spares.

I set off for the 5 mile trudge back to the nearest LBS in Ilkley, but after half a mile an MTB rider saw me, nipped home for his car and drove me and the bike there. Thanks mate!

nice, there are some decent people still out there.

The bike which I bought in October got its first puncture on the rear tyre in December, yards from home. Unfortunately, the bike sat unused for a while due to lack of a repair kit, but fortunately, I only had to walk for 30 seconds to get it home.

In March, I got a puncture on the front tyre about three miles from home and had to walk it back. Wasn't too hard though as I was wearing trainers.

After that, I bought a small hand pump, put the repair kit in my saddle bag and don't go anywhere without it. I can't imagine what I'd do if I got a puncture 15 miles from home at 3am and no way of repairing it.

I used to just stick a mini pump in my pocket/bag, because there was no point in carrying other stuff as I didn't know how to use it anyway! However, I am slowly learning...

I now carry 2 spare tubes, mini pump, tyre levers, the doo-hickey for the security skewers, a mini-tool, my lights, my spare lights, a couple of sets of spare batteries and a puncture repair kit in my pannier pretty much all the time.

The spare tubes are a recent acquisition, although I'd been saying for weeks that I really ought to go get some. Finally did it the day AFTER my first roadside puncture repair. Lesson learnt!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I always carry a spare tube. Have to remember to transfer the tyre levers over from my MTB saddle bag to road bag, as well as spanner, repair kit and multi tool etc.:becool:. Always take changed tube home to repair and put back in bag ready for next ride. It's quicker to change tube than repair on ride then repair tube once home;).

alci4

i carry one spare, puncture repair kit, multi tool, adjustable spanner, tyre levers

took the advice on the forum before i found myself in the walking home situation lol

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
alci4 said:
carry one spare and a puncture repair kit

took the advice on the forum before i found myself in the walking home situation lol

I may have been told i carry to much stuff for emergencies but at least i have never had to walk home yet.
Inner tube,fairy kit,multi tool with chain splitter,mini spanner,pump,instant inflate +seal spray is what i have as standard.
looking at getting a pair of small pliers as well :biggrin:. I know other people carry other things and i am sure that i will add stuff as i go along as well.

This is for commuting i hasten to add,finding time for other rides with a 3 year old kid is non-existent with the wife working part time as well.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
cyberknight said:
I may have been told i carry to much stuff for emergencies but at least i have never had to walk home yet.
Inner tube,fairy kit,multi tool with chain splitter,mini spanner,pump,instant inflate +seal spray is what i have as standard.
looking at getting a pair of small pliers as well :biggrin:. .
When I've been on rides with pupils I do carry a lot more stuff then I really need but have usually had to use most of it on kids crappy bikes. I've occaissionaly had to strip derailleurs and chain splitter is esential. Spare chain links, various nuts and bolts, duct tape, string, bits of wire etc. Only had to phone back to school to have 1 pupil collected in school mini-bus so far.

Debian

I used to carry every tool under the sun, almost, but I've cut back now to a multi tool (cycling), a Leatherman, two spare tubes, two mini pumps, some cable ties and a puncture repair kit. I need to add a folding tyre to the kit, I did once have the bead collapse on me and that was a three mile walk back carrying the bike!

I suppose I should add a chain splitter back in too.

My policy is not to carry anything I can't use. Hence spending the first 30-ish years of my cycling life with nothing more than a pump - and not always that.

But I am (very slowly) acquiring some basic skills. I'm currently considering the purchase of a chain tool. And before the summer's big expotition I may invest in a spare brake cable/set of brake blocks (for my boy's bike - I'm stuffed if mine go wrong because I haven't worked out disks at all yet) as I can sort of 'do' those - under suitable adult supervision ;)

My aim is that, by the time we set off, I should be able to fettle the minor stuff well enough to keep us on the road for our 4 day trip. He's heavily emotionally invested in his trip, and I wouldn't want us to not get there because I couldn't get his brakes to function or botch together a bust chain.

I think I need to practise tyres a lot more first tho.... and possibly get an internet-capable phone, so I can get emergency advice in the event of!

Top Bottom