Learning to ride a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I was in the 6th form a few of my chums got into that. Took them a couple of days to get the hang and a few weeks to truly master it. During lunch break they would ride into town for their chips and im sure they caused a few car crashes.

Years ago, we got given one that someone had fettled. It had different length cranks, and they were also off set so that when one was straight down, the other was at around 10 o'clock. How we never broke any bones is anyone's guess. It was a laugh trying to ride it though.

Big John

Guru
We had one donated at the bike charity where I work as a volunteer. Couldn't resist trying it out. Took all of 5 seconds to realise I was going to break my neck so put it down. I was gutted because my lad can ride one and it would have been great to say to him "Look, you're not the only one who can ride a unicycle!". Is there a secret to it that someone can share with us?

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
We had one donated at the bike charity where I work as a volunteer. Couldn't resist trying it out. Took all of 5 seconds to realise I was going to break my neck so put it down. I was gutted because my lad can ride one and it would have been great to say to him "Look, you're not the only one who can ride a unicycle!". Is there a secret to it that someone can share with us?

Yeah, that would be very helpful for me right now!

The advice seems to be lean slightly forward, but there is the finest of lines between 'leaning forward' and 'oooh, not that far' I have found that place twice so far, but still no major damage so all good.

I need to crack it as I have my eye on slacklining next..... not both together though!

Yeah, that would be very helpful for me right now!

The advice seems to be lean slightly forward, but there is the finest of lines between 'leaning forward' and 'oooh, not that far' I have found that place twice so far, but still no major damage so all good.

I need to crack it as I have my eye on slacklining next..... not both together though!

Someone told me once that if it took you a week to learn to ride (a 2 wheel bike) then it will take you a week to learn to ride a Uni, and respectively if it took you a whole Summer. I think their point was that for those that stick at it, say 1hr a day practice then you'll manage it within a week, just find a suitably height wall to guide yourself along on.

It reminds me of doing a trick on my old BMX, a trick that lasts say 15 seconds only in the case of Uni riding the entire ride is a trick.

it'll do wonders for your track standing:laugh:

Also got a slack line here a couple of years back, great fun and super good for building muscle strength around your knees

Top Bottom