Learning to ride again ( Penny Farthing that is)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
Just back from the most fantastic experience with www.pennyfarthingclub.com
I really needed bike clips at the start, so from this wobbly, child being taught by their dad, bricking it effort in the London Scottish building to riding up the Mall 2 hours later. After the first go I never thought that was possible. I don’t think I’ve ever gripped handlebars so tight as I did at the start and talk about wobble and I’m not talking speed wobble. Gradually you get the hang of how the bike moves and can mount efficiently and dismount safely if not always elegantly. If you get the chance it’s an experience not to be missed.
In the picture I’m on the left in the white helmet.
Oh you are also a celebrity being papped. Never had my photo taken so much.

Attachments

• 9912A3F3-1288-4315-AF49-66281D38548D.jpeg
    9912A3F3-1288-4315-AF49-66281D38548D.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 27

classic33

Leg End Member
Had a chance, a few years ago, to ride one in Shipley. Going uphill there was "fun".

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Had a chance, a few years ago, to ride one in Shipley. Going uphill there was "fun".
I’m told going downhill is even more scary, no brakes! I know they sometimes stand on rear peg and use other foot to add friction to the small wheel like a kid on a scooter. What gradient were you riding?

classic33

Leg End Member
From flat upto about 15°. The traffic lights were the worst part of the road itself.

Ellis Briggs was where I loaned it from.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
From flat upto about 15°. The traffic lights were the worst part of the road itself.

Ellis Briggs was where I loaned it from.

Chapeau on the 15 degrees, nothing like that today. Neil who taught us is riding LEJOG starting 29th July with Mark Beaumont I believe. I know what you mean about traffic lights, it was also pedestrians stepping out in front of us ias well.

AndreaJ

Veteran
When I go to work on my bike I used to see a teenager riding one to school fairly regularly, haven't seen him for a while though apparently he uses a vintage tractor now he's 16! . He had to go up a short, steep hill then down the other side , not sure how much speed he got up but not sure I would like to do it on a penny farthing.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I've just made my first entry onto my bucket list.
Honestly didn’t think I’d be able to do it after first go around a hall. Great tuition in an incredibly supportive way meant the whole group made amazing progress very quickly. Riding up the Mall on that was special, alot slower than the last time I did it in Ride 100. If you can get the chance I would highly recommend it, the immense pride at the end. Definitely a highlight of my cycling career :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I saw someone riding one yesterday, near Iwade in Kent. I didn't get a good look as they were a way down the road and our paths diverged before I caught up.

Drago

Legendary Member
My friends Dad is the great Roy Pink, he of the bike shop fame, who once strapped a bicycle to a canoe and cycled the full length of the river Ouse.

Anyway, when I was a teenager I blagged a go on his penny farthing, and surprised myself by doing ok. Being long of leg and having a young persons innate balance and coordination helped. I also had a go on his unicycle, that is to say I fell off it immediately several times.

Top Bottom