Learning to swim as an adult

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlamorganGuy

OK, so this couldn't be further away from cycling-related matters, but I'm going to jump in anyway, for want of a better place to ask the question...

Has anyone learned to swim as an adult?

I was never taught properly and have avoided water all my life. Frankly, I'm scared of it. The rest of my family loves swimming, especially in the sea and rivers. but I am never able to join them. I would like to change this about myself, and hopefully lose my fear of water, which I think comes from knowing that I might not be able to save myself if I fell in.

I'm embarrassed about my inability to swim but I know there are classes for adult learners. Has anyone had swim-teaching as an adult, and has it been successful?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Your biggest fear is “I can't touch the bottom”, even a lot of swimmers have the same fear at times, more so in rivers than at sea. Go to a swimming pool and book some lessons and your all in the same boat from the start, just thought another fear is having your face under water and the dreaded one is learning to breath while swimming I think that is the hardest to learn as it is all down to timing. Good luck and remember don't give up it takes time.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Loads of places do adult lessons, just get googling. I was quite poor at swimming as a kid, although never scared - I would gladly do a length under water - but I'm naturally not buoyant in a pool, but fine in sea water. My technique improved a lot watching / listening to my kids being taught.

Anyway back to the point - just crack on with it. other adults at the lessons will all be in the same boat.

presta

Guru
Been there, done that. When I was a kid I was frog-marched to a freezing cold lido by parents who couldn't swim, so needless to say, I ended my childhood unable to swim either. It was the sight of others having fun and the desire to try canoeing that motivated me at the age of 25. Obviously the help and advice you need will likely depend on your own particular bogey men, but here's what I've learnt:

Re: water on your face, you can keep your head out of the water ok doing breast stroke, but I knackered my knees in no time doing that, it was the twist on the joint as you kick that did it. If you're forced to progress to front crawl like I was, you'll never make a good swimmer if you don't like your face in the water, because lifting your head makes your legs sink and drag in the water. Swimming like that is utterly exhausting!

You can get nose clips, but my tip is to close your airway in your throat. Think of clearing your throat: ahem, well now do the ah without the hem, so that your throat is shut. Like this, you can move your chest and upper body freely whilst keeping the air in your nostrils (and hence the water) completely still. You may find goggles help if the chlorine makes your eyes sore, but I didn't, in fact the clear view to the bottom of the pool made me feel like I was falling out of a plane, and I kept losing my balance. (I could probably have got used to them, but I only tried a couple of lengths with a borrowed pair.)

Some will tell you to breathe out slowly whilst your face is in the water, but I never do. Not only are you throwing away oxygen, but you're also losing buoyancy, and an explosive exhale as you come up for air helps to clear the drips off your face so you don't inhale them and splutter.

Re: the actual swimming part, I spent quite some time getting nowhere before I realised that my own bugbear was starting and stopping confidently, not the actual swimming. I couldn't take my feet off the bottom and get my body from vertical to horizontal in the water without losing control of my movements. Stopping was the same but more so, if I needed to stop in a hurry I just couldn't get my feet back on the bottom safely.

The answer was to swallow my pride and go in the baby pool to practice, where the water was shallow enough to reach the bottom with my fingertips. I repeatedly pushed off the side, glided, and then practiced rotating myself in the water in complete safety, so that I quickly got the hang of how to rotate myself in all 3 axes at will. In fact, having got back in the big pool, I discovered that the need to curl my legs up in the small pool was actually a big advantage in any water because your body will roll much easier and faster when it's in a ball than stretched out straight. If you want to change your attitude in the water easily, bring your legs up toward your chest, rotate, then straighten them again.

Once I could start and stop confidently, I went back in the big pool and just swam, it didn't seem to need any learning after that.

Floating: it's easy to say when you're not in a panic, but know that if you keep your lungs full of air, you will float even if you keep still. There's just enough buoyancy to keep your face above water with your head tilted back, but not if you try to lift your arms out of the water. You'll sink without the air in your lungs, so to breathe, exhale and inhale quickly, then hold it.

Treading water: despite the name, it's far less effort to use your arms. Vertical in the water, hold your arms horizontal on the surface, and sweep them forwards and backwards whilst tilting your hands like the pitch on propeller blades, it's so effortless you should be able to keep it up for hours. (For your survival certificates you have to tread water with your legs whilst waving your arms in the air, and that's exhausting!)

I was useless at swimming until I had free use of pool everyday at university. I taught myself to swim. Other people had tried to teach me how to use arms and legs but they key is using your lungs and controlling water and air going in your mouth and nose. I would start at the shallow end, just learning how to let air but not water in and out.

Floating and boyancy depend on controlling the air in your lungs.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I never learned to swim, as a child. When I had children, I decided I just had to learn. The PTA at the school my children attended organised lessons for adults like me (I wasn't the only one!). The lessons were held by the children swimming teacher, in the school swimming pool. Quite amusing to see a group of twenty-somethings with arm-bands etc. But, it worked, I can swim, not brilliantly, but, I can do it.

That was 50 years ago!, I still see one of my fellow learners, from time to time, in the local pub. A 6'6" strapping fellow, but, he had the arm bands on, like the rest of us, and, he did learn.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I haven't learned to swim as an adult but I have learned other things. I think the most important thing is that you want to learn.

I'm sure the teacher at an adult class is well equipped to help you reach that goal but group lessons or even one on one are not for everybody. If you turn out to be one of those try not to be disheartened, just look for another way. Keep telling yourself that you want to do this, that you can do this and reward yourself for every bit of progress.

When I was younger I could swim but an overprotective sibling banned me from the deep end of the local pool. They had built it up to be a terrifying experience. One evening another guy in the pool asked me why I wasn't swimming lengths like him. When I told him why he lifted me up, carried me to the deep end and threw me in. "Swim", says he and I did!

Not recommending that process for everybody but sometimes our heads can hold us back.

The very best of luck to you. ^_^

keithmac

Guru
I leant to swim a few years back (39 years old!), did it for my children really so we could all enjoy the pool on holiday.

Amazing how many people came up to me after a lesson and said either well done, or they haven't got the courage to try. Hopefully talked a few round into having a go.

A girl in my year at Secondary School has just recently leaned to swim as well.

Give it a go, you won't regret it.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
OK, so this couldn't be further away from cycling-related matters, but I'm going to jump in anyway, for want of a better place to ask the question...

Has anyone learned to swim as an adult?

I was never taught properly and have avoided water all my life. Frankly, I'm scared of it. The rest of my family loves swimming, especially in the sea and rivers. but I am never able to join them. I would like to change this about myself, and hopefully lose my fear of water, which I think comes from knowing that I might not be able to save myself if I fell in.

I'm embarrassed about my inability to swim but I know there are classes for adult learners. Has anyone had swim-teaching as an adult, and has it been successful?

Yes although a few years ago. I was already a good swimmer having once been a triathlete and a lifeguard but had no clue how to actually do any of the strokes. It was 4 sessions over 4 weeks I think and mostly done in the "baby" pool with noodles and floats etc

Honestly, everyone else in the class is in the same or similar position as you, pull your speedos on and go for it :cheers:

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

Been there, done that. When I was a kid I was frog-marched to a freezing cold lido by parents who couldn't swim, so needless to say, I ended my childhood unable to swim either. It was the sight of others having fun and the desire to try canoeing that motivated me at the age of 25. Obviously the help and advice you need will likely depend on your own particular bogey men, but here's what I've learnt:

Re: water on your face, you can keep your head out of the water ok doing breast stroke, but I knackered my knees in no time doing that, it was the twist on the joint as you kick that did it. If you're forced to progress to front crawl like I was, you'll never make a good swimmer if you don't like your face in the water, because lifting your head makes your legs sink and drag in the water. Swimming like that is utterly exhausting!

You can get nose clips, but my tip is to close your airway in your throat. Think of clearing your throat: ahem, well now do the ah without the hem, so that your throat is shut. Like this, you can move your chest and upper body freely whilst keeping the air in your nostrils (and hence the water) completely still. You may find goggles help if the chlorine makes your eyes sore, but I didn't, in fact the clear view to the bottom of the pool made me feel like I was falling out of a plane, and I kept losing my balance. (I could probably have got used to them, but I only tried a couple of lengths with a borrowed pair.)

Some will tell you to breathe out slowly whilst your face is in the water, but I never do. Not only are you throwing away oxygen, but you're also losing buoyancy, and an explosive exhale as you come up for air helps to clear the drips off your face so you don't inhale them and splutter.

Re: the actual swimming part, I spent quite some time getting nowhere before I realised that my own bugbear was starting and stopping confidently, not the actual swimming. I couldn't take my feet off the bottom and get my body from vertical to horizontal in the water without losing control of my movements. Stopping was the same but more so, if I needed to stop in a hurry I just couldn't get my feet back on the bottom safely.

The answer was to swallow my pride and go in the baby pool to practice, where the water was shallow enough to reach the bottom with my fingertips. I repeatedly pushed off the side, glided, and then practiced rotating myself in the water in complete safety, so that I quickly got the hang of how to rotate myself in all 3 axes at will. In fact, having got back in the big pool, I discovered that the need to curl my legs up in the small pool was actually a big advantage in any water because your body will roll much easier and faster when it's in a ball than stretched out straight. If you want to change your attitude in the water easily, bring your legs up toward your chest, rotate, then straighten them again.

Once I could start and stop confidently, I went back in the big pool and just swam, it didn't seem to need any learning after that.

Floating: it's easy to say when you're not in a panic, but know that if you keep your lungs full of air, you will float even if you keep still. There's just enough buoyancy to keep your face above water with your head tilted back, but not if you try to lift your arms out of the water. You'll sink without the air in your lungs, so to breathe, exhale and inhale quickly, then hold it.

Treading water: despite the name, it's far less effort to use your arms. Vertical in the water, hold your arms horizontal on the surface, and sweep them forwards and backwards whilst tilting your hands like the pitch on propeller blades, it's so effortless you should be able to keep it up for hours. (For your survival certificates you have to tread water with your legs whilst waving your arms in the air, and that's exhausting!)

Thanks! I really appreciate this. It sounds pretty daunting to be honest, even reading about issues like stopping and controlling movement in the water, my heart is hammering, but I am determined to overcome my fear and get on with doing what I want to do - which is swim!

I didn't learn to swim as a kid, and dreaded it when we had swimming in P.E. ( The school had its own pool but only really in Summer term).

I avoided anything to do with swimming as a youth.

I was in my mid 20's when our daughter was born, and she took to swimming as a toddler. So, I figured I ought to learn to swim, if I was going to be able to have fun in the water with her as she grew up.

So, we would take daughter swimming, and my wife would stay with her whilst I took myself off and spent a few minutes holding onto the side and kicking my feet. Then, equipped with a nose clip and goggles, practiced dunking my head under until it stopped being completely terrifying.

Then I progressed to launching myself towards the edge of the pool from a few feet away, and including a few rudimentary strokes to propel myself to the "safety" of the edge.

Eventually, I found I was swimming! Then it was just a case of gradually increasing the distance, and being comfortable to have my face in the water, albeit still with goggles and nose clip.

All the effort paid off, because by the time daughter was about 7, I started kayaking with a local club, and ended up being a trained instructor.

I guess learning to swim is a bit like learning to ride a bike. Lots of short "failures" where you slightly scare yourself, and then one day everything just falls into place, and you are on your way.

simongt

Guru
Odd thing is that I've been able to swim reasonably well as long as I can recall; I'm now 69, but I have absolutely no recollection of who taught me to swim - ! My mum was a non swimmer, but my dad was pretty good, as were my elder bro and sister.
When I was doing my basic training, the Sergeant instructor lined us all up along the side of the pool and shouted ' Right, everyone ten widths as fast as you can - !', with no enquiry of who could swim or not before he barked the command. Interesting results - ! :laugh:

keithmac

Guru
I couldn't get on with nose clips at all, made it worse for me if anything.

A good instructor will take you at your own pace, I did 12 lessons iirc and went from complete none swimmer to 2 lengths or more quite easily by the end of it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
One thing to watch out for at adult classes is where the other students don't want to progress. I went to classes at a local school to try to become a stronger swimmer. It turned out most of the others had been going for years and had no intention of getting out of their depth. The instructor wasn't able to let me go into the deep end as she had to keep an eye on the whole group. The last of my booked session was cancelled because of bad weather and I never went back.

So don't get yourself stuck in that sort of group.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

I didn't learn to swim as a kid, and dreaded it when we had swimming in P.E. ( The school had its own pool but only really in Summer term).

I avoided anything to do with swimming as a youth.

I was in my mid 20's when our daughter was born, and she took to swimming as a toddler. So, I figured I ought to learn to swim, if I was going to be able to have fun in the water with her as she grew up.

So, we would take daughter swimming, and my wife would stay with her whilst I took myself off and spent a few minutes holding onto the side and kicking my feet. Then, equipped with a nose clip and goggles, practiced dunking my head under until it stopped being completely terrifying.

Then I progressed to launching myself towards the edge of the pool from a few feet away, and including a few rudimentary strokes to propel myself to the "safety" of the edge.

Eventually, I found I was swimming! Then it was just a case of gradually increasing the distance, and being comfortable to have my face in the water, albeit still with goggles and nose clip.

All the effort paid off, because by the time daughter was about 7, I started kayaking with a local club, and ended up being a trained instructor.

I guess learning to swim is a bit like learning to ride a bike. Lots of short "failures" where you slightly scare yourself, and then one day everything just falls into place, and you are on your way.

Really appreciate this, gives me a lot of hope.

Top Bottom