Learning to Swim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Do lessons first, and then join. That way you will (hopefully) have the confidence when you do.

midlife

Guru
When I was hanging around swimming pools while my kids were learning to swim there were quite a few classes for adults learning to swim :smile:

Shaun

I'd agree with going for lessons first. But go talk to a tri club and maybe even join for running/cycling anyway - there'll be a good chance they'll be national association members and you may well get cheap British Cycling membership included in any fee (I did).
I did some open water swimming with a triathalon club last year and found it very different from pool swimming. For the first 100-200m I seemed to have forgotten how to swim at all, which then reminds you of the second point - you can't stop for a breather when you get to the buoy, that buoy - the one furthest away from the shore and stand up. Ain't happening. The club coach was doing some pool sessions over winter but aimed at improving techniques and times.

One of the blokes there had started off as a non-swimmer too in a similar situation to you. Last I heard had started teaching swimming himself!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was lucky in having a council run swimming baths 5 minutes walk away when i was a youngster. My uncle taught me to swim and we also went there from junior school. So i got used to the water at an early age.

Last edited:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
It has just gone on my to do list for next year when I retire. I will be 58 but I don't care, i'll be living in the sun so I might as well take advantage of that. It will also be another good low impact form of exercise for those ageing bones.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Go do some lessons at Jack Hunt and then you will have the skills for swimming in a lake or river.

Besides the lessons, pop down to the pool when you are free. Forget doing strokes, just start threading water in a relaxed manner.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was lucky in having a council run swimming baths 5 minutes walk away when i was a youngster. My uncle taught me to swim and we also went there from junior school. So i got used to the water at an early age.
Not overly relevant to the OP :smile:

Go get lessons, most public pools offer adult classes

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not overly relevant to the OP :smile:

Go get lessons, most public pools offer adult classes

"when I was a kid, I never learned to swim..one of the main reasons was I never really had on opportunity to learn, school didn't do swimming, no pool near by, never went on holiday etc etc etc..."

My point was that unlike Irish on the coast i had easy access to a swimming baths. Many in my secondary school who lived out in the sticks had never been in a pool apart from holidays to Spain etc,therefore they either couldn't swim or were very nervous when in water. When you're near to a facility it's easier to take up that sport than if you live miles away from it, That's why hardly anyone plays rugby around here. Swimming classes might be available to everyone but when you live miles away from those classes it's not that easy.:okay:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Well yes, but that ship has sailed for the OP and he's looking for help as an adult wanting to learning to swim

I had lessons as a kid too, but I'm not a good swimmer nor do I much enjoy it other than on holiday to cool down. I'm not nervous in a pool but I am in the sea, but that's probably because I'm just nervous about situations out of my control like currents

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well yes, but that ship has sailed for the OP and he's looking for help as an adult wanting to learning to swim

I had lessons as a kid too, but I'm not a good swimmer nor do I much enjoy it other than on holiday to cool down. I'm not nervous in a pool but I am in the sea, but that's probably because I'm just nervous about situations out of my control like currents

If you're pulling me up about posts wandering off topic then have a look at the thread i started about cycle helmets. It's been hijacked by twonks talking about slack chains etc!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom