Learning to Swim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Updated? Who would update it? Only people who post there...go for your life, start a new thread

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh I'm sure if you post, the usual protagonists will appear...just have your facts aligned and arguments formed for whIchever side of the fence you sit...and wear your helmet... Or don't. Enough OT on this thread

Lullabelle

Banana
thanks all...I've had a look online for swimming lessons, looking to finding times, prices etc not as easy as expected but email sent..
I think intensive courses might be better for me rather than 1 lesson a week over 12 weeks...

I had swimming lessons when I was younger but didn't swim after that for years. We started going to a pool a couple a years ago and it was the best thing I have done, it means that when we are on holiday I can enjoy the pool and I now snorkle which is just terrific. Go for it :okay:

[QUOTE 3651647, member: 76"]I agree, learn first definitely, the Tri club will give you a chance to sort your technique.

I learnt to swim as a youngster and was taught by a sports teacher from a school, my technique is bloody appalling, I produce a similar amount of wake to a reversing car ferry. MiniUser76 cuts through the water producing the same wake as a seal! Swimming is all about good technique.[/QUOTE]
Technique. Yeah.
There I am, creating white water in my wake, churning the water to a foam and barely keeping up with the 2 senior ladies barely exerting any effort whilst chatting away to each other.
I'm thinking the OP ain't the only one that needs lessons.

@Accy cyclist. Team games do seem to suffer from, well, being team games. Even 7 a side rugby needs 14 people, plus a ref. It's a lot to organise, so I don't believe it's just a lack of facilities. May well be why tri events are now so popular, it's an individual thing. I'd guess team participation falls off even more after leaving education establishments and entering work. My daughter goes to a taekwondo club, again an individual sport, if she misses a session she won't let anyone in a team down
Even with something like Parkrun (my local has regular 450 entrants) it's nice to run with a bunch of other people but it's not necessary. Always get better times than running alone though.

I only did a sort of extended dog paddle for about 40 years. Got lessons at the local pool (mixed age group but all fine). Learnt a decent technique, 4 strokes, a bit of diving and how to do end turns.
I was a bit off cycling in the winter and so had a bit of a push on swimming over the winter. Just did a 5k swim yesterday for charidee and knackered today.

Best of all is snorkelling in the sea on a coral reef.

I didn't learn to swim till I was 37 and that was for a triathlon with a 300m swim. Definitely learn to swim, then tri club, but.....

Check out the tri club first, the near sets one to me was for serious swimmers only. The next one was much better and catered for the slowest breast stroke upwards with great coaches.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm pretty sure that most public pools run swimming classes for adults. The instructors know how to teach it well. Get the council a ring and they could point you in the right direction. It really will be worth learning.

screenman

Legendary Member
I swim about 6 miles a week, I do a 1minute 30 for 100 metres and I still have a 1 on1 lesson every so often at £14 for half hour.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'd make it clear to the teacher that you actually want to learn to swim.
I tried lessons a few years ago in a small local pool. It turned out I was already better than most of the others who had been going for a few years. As they were all terrified of getting out of their depth we weren't allowed to venture into the deep end and I spent most of the lessons hanging about in waist deep water and getting cold. I did improve my technique and really needed to go and practise but that just didn't happen...

Maybe I'll try again in a few years time.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
one pool charges £96 for 12 half hour lessons over 12 weeks or 1 to 1 lessons for £14 for half on hour...I think I'd prefer 3 hour long lessons over a couple of weeks which would be £84, I'm not sure I've got the patiences for a 12 week course...
Whatever you decide, stick with it! Swimming in the sea or in lakes and rivers is a wonderful sensation.

Top Bottom