Least dorkiest hi viz for civilian clothed commuters?

The LEAST dorky cycling commuter look (in civilian clothes) is:

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know there are lots of choices, but for clarity, let's just say which is LEAST dorkiest:
The thing is, there will be no consensus. Everybody has their own opinions on what is dorky and they vary geographical, culturally and across time. The only way you can dress so your colleague won't think you are dorky is to ask him what you should wear. Though this is sort of like quantum physics. If you ask him that question, he will definitely think you are a dork. But even if you dress perfectly according to him, there's nothing to stop a driver on the road thinking you are a dork, or your loved ones rolling their eyes when you get home. I'm not really sure how you have grown to be an adult without knowing this.

Anyway, I offer you this parable, which may explain things better.

I went to a very posh girl's school in Melbourne. Our summer uniform included long white socks. There was a secret rule amongst the students that the socks should be down around the ankles. So it was a constant battle of teachers telling girls to pull their socks up , and girls pushing them down as soon as the teacher's back was turned. That year they formed the first Student Representative Council, and the only thing they achieved was getting short socks added to the uniform as an acceptable alternative to long socks.

A few years later, I ran into a friend's younger sister, who was at the school several years after me. She was on the SRC. I mention to her how useless the SRC was that year, as the socks rule change was the only thing they did. "Oh my God!" she said "Only a dork would wear short socks!".

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
What? I was asking about seatbelts. I can't see the need to kill any cyclists. I'm starting to think you are the sort of person who would ask an internet forum for fashion tips.

Same principle as the seat belts theory. I thought that was clear.

The thing is, there will be no consensus. Everybody has their own opinions on what is dorky and they vary geographical, culturally and across time. The only way you can dress so your colleague won't think you are dorky is to ask him what you should wear. Though this is sort of like quantum physics. If you ask him that question, he will definitely think you are a dork. But even if you dress perfectly according to him, there's nothing to stop a driver on the road thinking you are a dork, or your loved ones rolling their eyes when you get home. I'm not really sure how you have grown to be an adult without knowing this..

This reads like an overly patronising reply to a simple, light-hearted, silly question. I'll assume that wasn't the intention. :smile:

I'll check out the pole results and and the hi viz stats again and decide whether to ebay the belt in question. BTW I have some really good theories on chain lubrication you are gonna love! - for another time.

Katherine

Guru
I would choose a Sam Browne belt over the standard builders vest on the basis that the world and its dog wear the builders vest type, nobody else tends to wear a Sam Browne belt so along with pedal reflectors it is more likely to ping a drivers consciousness (if at all) as a bike and potentially more likely to be in the road rather than jogger, council/builder etc, dog walker, delivery operative, bus driver..... in the tabard type who are as likely to be on the pavement as anywhere else.

.... And they're hi-vis in natural light and reflective in the dark.

Katherine

Guru
I was at a meeting the other day where I was told that my Scouts would need hi viz "of course" to take part in an activity planned for this coming Saturday. The activity? Walking, on pavements around town between the various Scout huts. I challenged this, um, vociferously, making the point that it gives the message that walking is a dangerous activity. Everyone looked at me like I was a bit odd. It was pointed out that DofE participants have to wear Hi viz on their expeditions. I said I was going to write to Prince Philip next, to sort him out.

My daughter achieved the gold D of E without any hi vis being mentioned.

Reactions: mjr

Origamist

Legendary Member
Yes, but there is no solid evidence (same as seat belts) because there are so many confounding factors plus to do it properly you need a control consisting of dead fluroscent cyclists/builders/seat belt non-wearers. That is frowned upon in science research.

I'm struggling to take you seriously.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One thing seems pretty clear, if Princess Diana had had enough sense to buckle up, she would likely still be a thorn in the side of the Royal family.
You think the spooks hadn't sabotaged her seatbelt? :eek:

You must love it when you see a chain of kids in high viz being led by their teacher along 'dangerous' roads.
Oh it's even better when they're being led along the riverside cycle track - what exactly is hi-vis going to do if one falls into the river? It's not even going to help you spot where they're submerged in the silt!

there is a separate thread for helmet discussions - if you wish to respond to this part of the post, please do it in the dedicated thread.
A link to https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-cyclechat-helmet-debate-thread.187059/ would have been more helpful, o mods.

1 John Adams is a professor at UCL. Diane Thompson is researcher (with no PhD that i can see) at a private company: Harborview Injury Prevention and Research. His methodology was not "roundly dismissed" in any meaningful or sound way.
Is that an attempt at proof by appeal to authority? A rare form of personal attack around here, indeed!

It was pointed out that DofE participants have to wear Hi viz on their expeditions. I said I was going to write to Prince Philip next, to sort him out.
Well, Prince Philip is a famous health and safety advocate after all. He often asks places he visits about their approach, as in http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/08/prince-philip-joke_n_4063237.html ;)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I recently bought a Space Jacket. As in it’s made of magic stuff from space, which shines light defiantly back at anyone who shines light upon it. Some might find this surprising, given that such garments are marketed as visibility aids, whereas I have increasingly embraced ninja tendencies in cycling attire, regarding the wearing of hi-vis as a crime of both ideology and aesthetics. The more observant amongst you, however, might have diagnosed a weakness for silvery things. It is shiny, as Harry Hill might observe. It does dazzle. It excites.

I’ve been, quite deliberately, toning down the bright stuff for some time now, as a sort of response to the unwinnable illuminations arms-race into which we have been sleep-cycling. I let my batteries run down to the merest glow-power, just for the satisfaction of observing how long they last when less is demanded of them. Flirting with ninja-ism allows you to walk the line between the desire to disappear and the need to have your existence affirmed. In the end you need the latter to prevail, and unless you ditch the Christmas-tree stuff and trust to the fact that your presence is irreducible, you will never really be sure whether you exist or not. The nice thing about being encased in retroreflectives is that they are simultaneously assertive and self-effacing. They enable you to be there and not there at the same time, minding your own business until someone questions your right to be there, interrogating you arrogantly with their headlights. Get a Space Jacket, and you can ping their impudent beam straight back at them without lifting a single finger from the bars…

IMAG2818.jpg

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I recently bought a Space Jacket. As in it’s made of magic stuff from space, which shines light defiantly back at anyone who shines light upon it. Some might find this surprising, given that such garments are marketed as visibility aids, whereas I have increasingly embraced ninja tendencies in cycling attire, regarding the wearing of hi-vis as a crime of both ideology and aesthetics. The more observant amongst you, however, might have diagnosed a weakness for silvery things. It is shiny, as Harry Hill might observe. It does dazzle. It excites.

I’ve been, quite deliberately, toning down the bright stuff for some time now, as a sort of response to the unwinnable illuminations arms-race into which we have been sleep-cycling. I let my batteries run down to the merest glow-power, just for the satisfaction of observing how long they last when less is demanded of them. Flirting with ninja-ism allows you to walk the line between the desire to disappear and the need to have your existence affirmed. In the end you need the latter to prevail, and unless you ditch the Christmas-tree stuff and trust to the fact that your presence is irreducible, you will never really be sure whether you exist or not. The nice thing about being encased in retroreflectives is that they are simultaneously assertive and self-effacing. They enable you to be there and not there at the same time, minding your own business until someone questions your right to be there, interrogating you arrogantly with their headlights. Get a Space Jacket, and you can ping their impudent beam straight back at them without lifting a single finger from the bars…

View attachment 119802
Not sure I would go that far in my anti hi vis about turn..

But I was looking at one in the bike shoo the other day and thought it rather fetching. Might start with a rucksack cover

DrLex

merely the moocher
can I just make out "blue steel" in the darkness?

A little OT, but as a PSA, 2lander is a crushing & almost embarrassing disappointment (unless that itself is part of the joke) such that I'm almost moved to deny its existence, much like Highlander 2. For those of you who hold Derek dearly, I'd strongly recommend skipping it and not sullying the enjoyment of the original film.
Meanwhile, Proviz? That's so hot right now.

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
Thanks for the sartorial hi viz input.
The vote says Sam Browne is less dorky. I will therefore wear a workmans hi hiz from now on :smile:

I suppose the very moment you think you need a cycling specific thing to go about your cycling business (Sam B belt) it immediately it becomes a bit nerdy....? Whereas at least (as someone mentioned) the builder's hi viz is just a casual 'throw this on'/'found it lying around' garment. The confusion for is that the belt is small and neat but the vest is large and undignified. The logic is killing me.

Just call me Derek

Top Bottom