Least ridiculous helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onlyhuman

I'd like a compact, lightweight helmet that looks small, neat, unobtrusive. All the road style helmets I see look bulbous and have exaggerated swooping shapes, they look like they are designed to appeal to teenagers. Who makes more tasteful helmets?

To my eyes, they all look the damned same, as if they came out of the same mould but with different paint jobs. I don't wear a helmet, never have done, but if I do, I might well get one of those Bell Fusion(?) helmets which are more protective and don't look like all the bloomin rest.

I find that it's having a good fit that makes the helmet 'look' right. My suggestion would be to try on different helmets at your LBS regardless of fashion styling variations - go for the one that feels comfortable and fits you properly. You may find that it also 'looks' alright too.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

beanzontoast said:
I find that it's having a good fit that makes the helmet 'look' right. My suggestion would be to try on different helmets at your LBS regardless of fashion styling variations - go for the one that feels comfortable and fits you properly. You may find that it also 'looks' alright too.

I appreciate you taking the trouble to comment beanz, but the helmets I see the pros wearing on the Tour de Britain don't "look" right to me, and I bet they are a good fit on their heads. The problem isn't fit, it's the underlying design philosophy. As Paul says, all these helmets look much the same. I think it is because they are designed on computers, it's the same with modern cars and public buildings.

MePower

I got a matt black Bell for that reason. Everything with a colour looks too jazzy or too many go faster stripes. Heaven forbid your helmet matching your team outfit :stop:

adscrim

Veteran
I think Giro do the Xen and Hex helmets in Matt black and being MTB helmets they're not a sweepy as the road counterparts.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Pimperial said:
They look better than a fractured skull though, don't they? :smile:

:stop::rofl::smile::rofl::smile: .......... thats a good point.

I remember when I got my first helmet I went into my LBS who had a large range of helmets and I tried a few on and they all looked HUGE on my head (or so I thought), so I asked if they had any more discrete ones and as he pointed out they need to be a certain size to do the job of protecting your head otherwise you may as well wear a wooley hat.

I now dont even think about the fact that I am wearing a helmet, and I couldnt give a toss what anyone else thinks as it is my head not theirs.

I now have 2 helmets a specialized helmet and a Giro helmet and out of the 2 I prefer the specialized one even though it is the larger of the two it is just more comfy.

onlyhuman said:
I appreciate you taking the trouble to comment beanz, but the helmets I see the pros wearing on the Tour de Britain don't "look" right to me, and I bet they are a good fit on their heads. The problem isn't fit, it's the underlying design philosophy. As Paul says, all these helmets look much the same. I think it is because they are designed on computers, it's the same with modern cars and public buildings.

I don't totally disagree - there's some whacky designs out there. You have to feel happy about the appearance as well as the fit. :stop:

I've gone for a fairly neutral grey Giro helmet with a black rain peak myself - fits really well, and nicely ventilated in summer. Certainly doesn't look like a roadies helmet. Come winter, I shall be putting it away and going back to my trusty Aldi special - not over-styled, again fits very well, covers rather more of my head and has only 3 vent holes, keeping rain out more and heat in.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
onlyhuman said:
They are designed for good air flow, good compact zones and commfort. So even if they don't apeal to your design philosophy. they do keep you safe and cool.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

Hi gaz,

I'm sure you're right and those practical aspects are taken into account in helmet design, but it's quite obvious that the form of modern helmets is not based entirely on function. The designers are influenced by the look of other things around them, and computer-based design also plays a significant role.

Numbnuts: you imply that you don't care how you look, and that's fine with me, but I do care how I look. I think most people do care about that, and this discussion is for us.

What is puzzling is that all of these (almost) identical helmets have varying prices. After all when you have your re-cycled polystyrene egg box creation and stuck a gaudy plastic skin on it, why don't they all cost the same ie £1.99?

Perhaps even more of an object of ridicule is a catalogue I got from my local cycle shop. The descriptive language used to describe such mundate accessories as pumps and mudguards defies belief. Urban gorilla and stuff. All written to attract those who easily part with their money. The impressionable image conscious lot.

ChrisKH

Guru
onlyhuman said:
Hi gaz,

I'm sure you're right and those practical aspects are taken into account in helmet design, but it's quite obvious that the form of modern helmets is not based entirely on function. The designers are influenced by the look of other things around them, and computer-based design also plays a significant role.

Numbnuts: you imply that you don't care how you look, and that's fine with me, but I do care how I look. I think most people do care about that, and this discussion is for us.

Sweeping generalisation. Frankly I couldn't care less what people think I look like in a helmet (dick like I would suggest) and would even venture to say the only time you won't look like one is if you aren't wearing a helmet at all. You can only take away so much 'by design' before putting up your hands and saying; "It's a helmet, get over it." But then I'm a function over form type person and have never pandered to fashion.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

ChrisKH said:
Sweeping generalisation. Frankly I couldn't care less what people think I look like in a helmet (dick like I would suggest) and would even venture to say the only time you won't look like one is if you aren't wearing a helmet at all. You can only take away so much 'by design' before putting up your hands and saying; "It's a helmet, get over it." But then I'm a function over form type person and have never pandered to fashion.

What helmet do you wear then Chris?

Top Bottom