Least ridiculous helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
onlyhuman said:
I'd like a compact, lightweight helmet that looks small, neat, unobtrusive. All the road style helmets I see look bulbous and have exaggerated swooping shapes, they look like they are designed to appeal to teenagers. Who makes more tasteful helmets?

They are all ridiculous, and utterly pointless, the simple answer is not to bother wearing one...

See cyclehelmets.org for more information.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Pimperial said:
They look better than a fractured skull though, don't they? :evil:

Shame that they are not actually strong enough to prevent a fracture of the skull, ho hum.

Will1985

Über Member
onlyhuman has clearly never spent a hot day in the saddle with a helmet on - I have 3 helmets: Giro Monza, Atmos, Advantage2. The Monza is probably to your liking as it doesn't have any "sweeps", but there is a huge difference between that and an Atmos when it comes to airflow...this is the main reason why helmets are shaped as they are. All helmets have a "function" to protect the head so I can only assume you are talking about other aspects like weight and cooling. I'm told that the Ionos is better for a cool head than an Atmos by someone who has both.

My Advantage2 is like a sauna, but the function of cooling has been dropped in favour of aerodynamics.

By the way, Giro is a subsidiary of Bell which is why models look similar.

Perhaps onlyhuman is after something in the style of the late Reg Harris?

reg-harris.jpg

Pimperial

BentMikey said:
+1

An average skull takes ~1000j to fracture, whilst a helmet can absorb perhaps 75j.

So in a 1050J impact, your skull will only take 975J and you will be spared that fracture.

I don't wear a helmet usually, but seeing as the OP obviously does, it seemed worth mentioning that if he wants to wear one it shouldn't matter whether it "looks good". And I wanted to steer the thread towards another pro/anti-helmet argument. Always a laugh!

Midnight

HJ said:
They are all ridiculous, and utterly pointless, the simple answer is not to bother wearing one...

See cyclehelmets.org for more information.

:evil: I know that the jury is still out on the efficacy of cycle helmets, but it stands to reason that they do at least provide some protection from injury and that's good enough for me. (Injury = pain, regardless of how serious the injury, and I've no wish to risk injury, serious or not).

I've worn a helmet ever since I got t-boned by a car in 2005 and suffered a broken cheek bone, fractured skull and minor brain hemorrhage. I wasn't wearing a helmet at the time, and I doubt that if I had it wouldn't have saved me from a fractured skull because of the severity of the impact.

But last year I came off whilst going round a corner in heavy rain. Luckily I wasn't badly hurt and managed to ride home. When I got home I noticed that the helmet had a large dint and a split from where my head hit the edge of the kerb - if I hadn't had a helmet on then there can be no doubt that I would have sustained another head injury...

As it stands there is no legal requirement in this country to wear helmets, but I wonder how long it will be before insurance companies try to use the failure to wear a helmet to as an excuse to (further) reduce compensation payouts.

With some of the poorly-educated motorists I come across every day, it's suicidal not to consider protection.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
A few years ago, whilst out doing field work I was walking on Beinn a’ Bhuird I was blown off my feet and fell heavily and bashed my head on a rock. It hurt a lot and I suffered a mild concussion, given that I was in a remote area in very low viz (less then 50m) and not far from some big drops, this could have become a serious incident. Should I therefore always wear a helmet to go walking? Statisticly your more at risk of head injury per mile traveled on foot then you are per mile cycle, surely we should all be wearing helmets to walk! For that matter you are at even greater risk of head injury per mile traveled in a car, better get motoring helmets for all the family...

Midnight

I appreciate what you're saying, HJ, but the possibility of being injured in other activities does not negate the reasons for wearing a cycle helmet. I don't want to start an arguement over helmet use, just don't wish to see fellow cyclists in casualty (or the morgue) for the sake of a few quid... :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
HJ said:
A few years ago, whilst out doing field work I was walking on Beinn a’ Bhuird I was blown off my feet and fell heavily and bashed my head on a rock. It hurt a lot and I suffered a mild concussion, given that I was in a remote area in very low viz (less then 50m) and not far from some big drops, this could have become a serious incident. Should I therefore always wear a helmet to go walking? Statisticly your more at risk of head injury per mile traveled on foot then you are per mile cycle, surely we should all be wearing helmets to walk! For that matter you are at even greater risk of head injury per mile traveled in a car, better get motoring helmets for all the family...
you don't wear a hans device whilst driving? don't want any whiplash now do you.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It is a problem though. If you choose to wear a helmet most of the options do make you look like an alien, and don't look right with normal clothes.

There's the pisspot type helmet- a bit hot, but probably OK if you take it easy. They don't make the head look so large.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one company making cycle helmets that looked like hats (a bit like riding helmets). I don't remember thinking they were stylish. Might get a chance to find a link later when I get home.

D4VOW

Why does every thread involving helmets always turn into the same for/against helmet usage nonsense. If someone wants to wear a helmet let them, if not then leave them to it :smile:

Personally I don't wear a helmet on the road but do like the look of the Catlike Kompact Pro and own one for when I'm involved in anything that requires the usage of a helmet.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
D4VOW said:
Why does every thread involving helmets always turn into the same for/against helmet usage nonsense. If someone wants to wear a helmet let them, if not then leave them to it :smile:

++1

I agree D4VOW, though not a fashion accessory, I'd rather wear one than not.

Top Bottom