leave road bike at home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madguern

Morning all

Noticed other threads about this however this morning was not a commute but full on peleton race ! The problem is I ride hard all week as part of training so leave friday to relax. Weather getting nicer so this morning about every MTB and Flat bar commuter out on the roads. Thanks to commuter racing I am a full on target ;-)

Lycra clad ride bike user ! They where coming from all directions over fields, ganging up on me few ! my normal abg on a friday 12mph today was close to 16mph. (There is a little fabrication in this for comic effect)

So should I leave my road bike at home and use the flat bar and join in on pick on the roady ! or better still get out my old mtb and go for it :-)

Cheers

Exhausted Guern

dondare

Über Member
madguern said:
Morning all

Noticed other threads about this however this morning was not a commute but full on peleton race ! The problem is I ride hard all week as part of training so leave friday to relax. Weather getting nicer so this morning about every MTB and Flat bar commuter out on the roads. Thanks to commuter racing I am a full on target ;-)

Lycra clad ride bike user ! They where coming from all directions over fields, ganging up on me few ! my normal abg on a friday 12mph today was close to 16mph. (There is a little fabrication in this for comic effect)

So should I leave my road bike at home and use the flat bar and join in on pick on the roady ! or better still get out my old mtb and go for it :-)

Cheers

Exhausted Guern

If Friday is your recovery day then it's your ego that you need to leave at home.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Be yourself. Ride at the pace that's comfortable to you.

I'm no racer but I ride a flat bar fast hybrid on my 24 mile commute.

Monday is take it easy warm up day. Tues-Thurs the legs have got into rhythm and are pumping those pedals good. Friday’s are wind down days.

I seldom get passed, but this morning I got passed by a girl on a hardtail and a guy on a rigid ATB. Both were grinding in big gears and I didn’t sense that they would be able to sustain it more than a mile.

They seemed rather chuffed with themselves, though I found it funny. Was almost tempted to up the pace to leave them in their tracks, but I thought I’d let them rejoice in their moment of glory.

Those pesky fair weather commuters. Where were they in January?

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

dondare said:
If Friday is your recovery day then it's your ego that you need to leave at home.

My ego stays in the trailer i tow along on my work to work. Yes it was brusied this morning due to having ride so fast and bing bumped around al lot !

This was meant as light humor, personally don't mind if overtaken by people. I just object to people using a slow git like me to score points.

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Moodyman said:
Be yourself. Ride at the pace that's comfortable to you.

I'm no racer but I ride a flat bar fast hybrid on my 24 mile commute.

Monday is take it easy warm up day. Tues-Thurs the legs have got into rhythm and are pumping those pedals good. Friday’s are wind down days.

I seldom get passed, but this morning I got passed by a girl on a hardtail and a guy on a rigid ATB. Both were grinding in big gears and I didn’t sense that they would be able to sustain it more than a mile.

They seemed rather chuffed with themselves, though I found it funny. Was almost tempted to up the pace to leave them in their tracks, but I thought I’d let them rejoice in their moment of glory.

Those pesky fair weather commuters. Where were they in January?

exactly , went through the whole winter etc riding every day, nobody then. Now it seems to be open season. With young family and work commitments don't get much time to myself hence ride to work not only transport but my trip to the gym too.

Brake test them!

Obviously don't do that.

You could always get the most rubbish worst bike ever... and scalp the MTBs. For fun... dress as a farmer, put on wellys and strap a pheasant to the back...

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

I calmed down on the way home and let them have their day, sun was shining had a good day at work so didn't care. left the ego at work :-)

Goldie

Über Member
Keep on the road bike! My favourite bikes to see when I'm on my way into work are drop handlebar bikes and metallic beige shoppers with bell and basket being ridden by stern old ladies...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmmm... My wife has picked up the term 'fixie'..... oh no..............:wacko:

I keep saying I'd be laughed out of the "crowd"....mine is a fixed road bike........(it has two brakes and looks just like a winter trainer road bike..... except no gears............;))

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Goldie said:
Keep on the road bike! My favourite bikes to see when I'm on my way into work are drop handlebar bikes and metallic beige shoppers with bell and basket being ridden by stern old ladies...

I like the idea of owning a bike with a basket,

In fact would love a TT bike with a basket on the front and a big bell :-) Not sure on how many points that would be in commuter racing. Especially if wearing tweeds and pipe in mouth (bubble of course).

Cheers

chap

Veteran
madguern said:
I like the idea of owning a bike with a basket,

In fact would love a TT bike with a basket on the front and a big bell :-) Not sure on how many points that would be in commuter racing. Especially if wearing tweeds and pipe in mouth (bubble of course).

Cheers

Get a Brompton my good man, use slicks, and buy a real pipe!

Much much classier than the hoi polloi I see dressed to the 1's in Adidas slacks, riding about on a ( presumably ) stolen mountain bike whilst puffing on a fag at the tax payers expense. Bad show, bad show!

Of course, you are better than that, and I'd expect that you shall learn from my expensive mistake and invest in a pair of trouser straps. Those, or a pair of plus fours.

Tynan

Veteran
sadly not good enough those lines about rest days, having a cold, bad leg, etc etc

you wouldn't accept them when you scalp someone else would you

you're only as good as your last ride

and I crawled in on Friday morning, genuinely strained to crawl up to the back wheels of other riders to shamelessly draft and hide from a headwind that was too much ag for me

Top Bottom