Leaving a bike locked in Leeds City centre(NOW CLOSED)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
bike hub have set up a staffed cycle park in the kirkgate market £1 between 7.30 and 18.00 with free use of pump /oil /tools / maps and advice and will be running it till Oct or further if there is a demand for the service (£10 for season ticket over this period)
Where exactly? I'd pay a quid for piece of mind, when I use the rails outside there are usually some right wackos around from the bookies and General Elliot.^_^

OP
OP
roley poley

roley poley

Über Member
if you enter inside the new covered market from the lower end it's row J ..that's the side nearest George Street ..sheffield stands sunken in the floor and a manned watch. Agreed a few shady shufflers about but none in this area . :thumbsup:

This is great for the centre, I'd be half tempted to pop down to the market for food or clothing shops and leave my ebike there if there was a proper route from the A58 Drighlington. The A58 is nothing short of hostile to cyclists, especially on the way back up. Until then, I'll have to stick with online retail. Something has to change before schemes like this really take off, I wish the council would realise this. 🤦‍♂️

classic33

Leg End Member
This is great for the centre, I'd be half tempted to pop down to the market for food or clothing shops and leave my ebike there if there was a proper route from the A58 Drighlington. The A58 is nothing short of hostile to cyclists, especially on the way back up. Until then, I'll have to stick with online retail. Something has to change before schemes like this really take off, I wish the council would realise this. 🤦‍♂️
I found that to be the easy and enjoyable part, ringways aside, when working in Leeds. Is the A650 a viable possibility for you.

I found that to be the easy and enjoyable part, ringways aside, when working in Leeds. Is the A650 a viable possibility for you.
Aside for occasional shopping or social event, I have never really had the need to ride to Leeds, as long as I have lived in the area, I've worked in Bradford. But on occasion I travel into Leeds for meetings. Yes, the stretch between the Woodcock and Ringways is a good bit of fun downhill, but not without problem areas, the 40mph limit and pinch points are a problem, especially when you factor in speeding motorists.

Regarding A650 which bit? The ride through Tong Village is OK, but once you've passed the turn off to Pudsey and entered Farnley it get's hairy again. I live 5 mins away from A650 and know better than to ride on it! Its very busy at rush hour and when it's quiet some are driving motorway speeds on it, not one for me! I can take Field Head Lane to the A650, but I take the pedestrian crossing at the end to ride through Drigh moor to join the A58 rather than Gelderd Road, if that is what you were going to suggest. That's even worse as it's 50mph once you've passed the cross roads for Gildersome and Morley. We could really do with a nice segregated route on the A58. There's plenty of room for the most part, not so much on Tong Road or Geldard road. But I won't hold my breath. :sad:

CXRAndy

Guru
I hale from Drighlingtom and lived around Leeds/ Bradford till my 30's. I visit family in Guiseley and would never contemplate riding in the area. I see so many bad overtakes from drivers.

Braver soles than me who do venture out:okay:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You guys make the area sound like 1980s Beirut. It ain't. It's fine.

The Tour De Yorkshire (and TdF in 2014) has helped to put cycling into the public consciousness. When the race passed through parts of inner city Bradford last year, there were thousands of folk lining the streets. These were not the sort of people one would normally associate with cycling.

Since the pandemic there has been an uptick in Blacks, Asians and women of all backgrounds using the local cycling greenways/superhighways.

These are good times. Enjoy.

classic33

Leg End Member
You guys make the area sound like 1980s Beirut. It ain't. It's fine.

The Tour De Yorkshire (and TdF in 2014) has helped to put cycling into the public consciousness. When the race passed through parts of inner city Bradford last year, there were thousands of folk lining the streets. These were not the sort of people one would normally associate with cycling.

Since the pandemic there has been an uptick in Blacks, Asians and women of all backgrounds using the local cycling greenways/superhighways.

These are good times. Enjoy.
I only said the bad part of the A58, into Leeds was the part at Ringways.
My view only.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I only said the bad part of the A58, into Leeds was the part at Ringways.
My view only.

I can see what you mean. I mostly hit that roundabout at peak times and it's crawling so I filter. But, I have had a few near wipeouts when it's quiet as motorists expect to drive through without stopping.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can see what you mean. I mostly hit that roundabout at peak times and it's crawling so I filter. But, I have had a few near wipeouts when it's quiet as motorists expect to drive through without stopping.
Drivers seem less patient around there, especially heading out of the city.

Had a foreign lorry testing his brakes, a few times in straight stretch. Speed built up, then he'd brake. Trailer lights didn't work. I've hit it at all hours, and behavior doesn't seem to change whatever the hour.

Top Bottom