Leaving a U lock on a rail at work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

When I bought my new bike the guy at the shop seemed quite surprised that I carried my lock on bike as it was relatively heavy at 1.9kg (An Onguard Pitbull 8005 DT) and asked me why I didn't leave it at work. There are a few reasons, I never really noticed the weight tbh, I liked having the lock on me if I decided to stop somewhere but the main reason is I don't like the ideal of leaving the lock unattended. I am paranoid that someone may tamper with the lock to make it weaker or cut it off so I turn up to work and I have no lock.

The frame on my Cannondale it much thicker at the point where I mounted it on the Apollo and the bracket doesn't fit so I am struggling to find a good place to mount it so the lock is not in the way while riding or the screw ends aren't closer to moving parts than I would like. So I am wondering if I am being a bit too paranoid and I should just leave it at work.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I leave mine at work but it is in a busy overlooked area during the daytime & as far as I know we don't have too many oiks gadding around after hours.

I don't suppose sticking an emergency spare lock in a desk drawer would be an option ? A Masterlock Street Fortum is about £20 and Gold Sold Secure.

C R

Guru
When I bought my new bike the guy at the shop seemed quite surprised that I carried my lock on bike as it was relatively heavy at 1.9kg (An Onguard Pitbull 8005 DT) and asked me why I didn't leave it at work. There are a few reasons, I never really noticed the weight tbh, I liked having the lock on me if I decided to stop somewhere but the main reason is I don't like the ideal of leaving the lock unattended. I am paranoid that someone may tamper with the lock to make it weaker or cut it off so I turn up to work and I have no lock.

The frame on my Cannondale it much thicker at the point where I mounted it on the Apollo and the bracket doesn't fit so I am struggling to find a good place to mount it so the lock is not in the way while riding or the screw ends aren't closer to moving parts than I would like. So I am wondering if I am being a bit too paranoid and I should just leave it at work.
I have a lock and cable permanently at work, and by the looks of the racks it would appear most other cyclists do the same. I never thought it would be an issue.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

I leave mine at work but it is in a busy overlooked area during the daytime & as far as I know we don't have too many oiks gadding around after hours.

I don't suppose sticking an emergency spare lock in a desk drawer would be an option ? A Masterlock Street Fortum is about £20 and Gold Sold Secure.

I could do that to cover the locking going missing it would just then be the time I would have to leave the bike unlocked while I go and get it, it's not a long time but I wouldn't like to do it. I could just carry a light weight cable lock for that and the times I pop to the shop I guess.

Does anyone else at your work cycle and leave locks? Have they had any problems?

The only other person who cycles in my office carries their lock on their frame but I work on a university campus and I see a lot of locks left about some of which look in pretty bad shape plus the remnants of a fair few cut of locks dotted about before they get cleaned up. I don't know if there is a particular issue with cycle crime on campus to be fair.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Don't use light weight cable locks unless you are happy losing the bike, would be my view. They contravene insurance clauses and invite speedy theft.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I have just started leaving a lock at work, and I am glad to not be carrying it. I also noted that the other locks look dirty and rusty...

Makes my bar bag a bit lighter :okay:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would only leave a permanent lock in place if I knew it was a low crime area or private space. It is too easy for people to have access to practice lock picking or to just fill the mechanism with glue. I keep my lock bungied to the top of my rack or in my pannier, any mount that has come with a lock has lasted months at most.

D

Deleted member 26715

Walking around Sheffield there are loads to dlocks & looped cables on street furniture, some days I see bikes attached other days no bikes. I presume somebody from the council comes around every so often & removes the ones that they have not seen used for a while. Don't think I have ever seen any attacked/damaged, not sure why anybody would want to destroy a lock just so they could steal it.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Don't think I have ever seen any attacked/damaged, not sure why anybody would want to destroy a lock just so they could steal it.

In my paranoid mind it is more so the person who was using it can't secure their bike making it easier to steal later. I think it in part it is due to know someone who used to leave their motorbike lock on a rail and over night one of the links on it was cut and then the chain was cable tied together and they concealed it with the fabric cover then just snipped the tie to remove the lock and steal the bike.

KneesUp

Guru
I carry my U-lock everywhere for the reasons you give - it's my only lock, really.

I found it kept falling out the bracket, so I now carry it with the curved part looped through the saddle rails, and the straight locking part fastened to the top of my rack with a toe clip strap so it doesn't bounce around. As a bonus you can use it to strap bulky items too as well :smile:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Keep mine at work in the shelter, no way would I want to be carrying it around. However I don`t stop off anywhere on the way in or out and the bike goes in the garage at home.

Top Bottom