Leaving a U lock on a rail at work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would want to carry one for shop stops anyway, so I've never left one at work. Seems like too much of an invitation to scoundrels to attack the lock at their leisure, or at least know what tool they'll need.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Does anyone else at your work cycle and leave locks? Have they had any problems?
+1
we have bike sheds and the railings have spots to hang your locks on, i wouldnt like to carry the fark off chain, lock and d lock anyway along with all the other "essential " stuff i lug about anyway .summer time im still carrying waterproofs and overshoes ,,just in case !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just a lightweight lock at work to stop someone thinking they can move my bike to another spot, but our bike shed has security card access control, inside a fenced site with 24hr security and cycling to work is a bit of a culture thing so it is highly normal to have a good bike locked up there. The works site is not 100% locked down but it is good enough for me and there is no one on site unless they are meant to be there as it is an industrial estate mostly away from anywhere busy (except for a kids trampoline/play centre somewhere on the estate).

What is the situation where you work?

I wouldn't commute with a heavy lock, in fact I commute with no lock at all.

simongt

Guru
All this makes me realise how lucky we cyclists are where I work. although the cycle racks / shelter is at the front of the building, accessibility is nigh impossible for any non staff individual, to the extent that most of us don't bother with locks. Security gate at one end, a long walk which takes one past a permanently manned reception to get to the bikes t'other way. The area is often occupied by various staff out for a quick break, oh and security camera all over the place - ! ^_^ :thumbsup:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I have the same lock and it's left at work because of the bulk & weight made it difficult to carry, but our bike shed is also on a secure key access. I have a Kryptonite Kryptolock series 2 which I carry around when shopping as it is much lighter and fits into the front pocket of my backpack pocket much easier. The Kryptonite is also Soild Secure silver rated which is all I need for quick stops on the way to/from work.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't get complacent, just because you work at a "secure" site. It only takes one rogue legit visitor (say a contractor) to admit a criminal into a building, who could secrete themselves out of sight until everybody else has gone home, then nick whatever they wanted.
A few years ago at work, a load of very expensive electronic equipment got stolen from inside a locked room inside a building with electronic access control. The internal door to the room was burgled, but there was no signs of forced entry into the building externally. The consensus of opinion is that someone with legit access facilitated someone else without legit access at least through the external doors, who then broke into the room containing the equipment after working hours.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Just carry it with you :okay: on frame, on pannier rack, in bag

That is what I was going to do but the holder thing wont fit on the top bar of my bike which is where it was on my old bike and I am struggling to find somewhere it will mount that doesn't leave the lock in the way of my legs/feet. the mount won't clamp onto my rack as the rails aren't thick enough. I'll have another play.

What is the situation where you work?

I wouldn't commute with a heavy lock, in fact I commute with no lock at all.

It's rails in a public place, no security shed. They do have bike lockers you can rent for £4 a month on campus which I am tempted by.

tom73

Guru
4 quid bike locker well that’s your solution. @ianrauk sum’s it up for me. Also will help keep the worse of the weather at bay when it’s not being used.

vickster

Legendary Member
That is what I was going to do but the holder thing wont fit on the top bar of my bike which is where it was on my old bike and I am struggling to find somewhere it will mount that doesn't leave the lock in the way of my legs/feet. the mount won't clamp onto my rack as the rails aren't thick enough. I'll have another play.

It's rails in a public place, no security shed. They do have bike lockers you can rent for £4 a month on campus which I am tempted by.
Why do you need to clamp the lock to a pannier rack. Cant you use bungees or attach directly to rack

Just pay for the locker, then you can leave stuff there too. Like the big lock to secure the locker. £4 is nothing

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Why do you need to clamp the lock to a pannier rack. Cant you use bungees or attach directly to rack

Just pay for the locker, then you can leave stuff there too. Like the big lock to secure the locker. £4 is nothing

It's one of those topeak dx racks so my bad slides on the top so I would have to secure the lock to the side and I wasn't sure how secure it would be on the side with a bungie. again probably worrying over nothing.

I'll enquire about the lockers, they are rented on a term by term basis and there aren't that many so I don't know what the demand is like as they are for students and staff.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's one of those topeak dx racks so my bad slides on the top so I would have to secure the lock to the side and I wasn't sure how secure it would be on the side with a bungie. again probably worrying over nothing.

I'll enquire about the lockers, they are rented on a term by term basis and there aren't that many so I don't know what the demand is like as they are for students and staff.
I just put my large D lock in the bag, I have the same!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't get complacent, just because you work at a "secure" site. It only takes one rogue legit visitor (say a contractor) to admit a criminal into a building, who could secrete themselves out of sight until everybody else has gone home, then nick whatever they wanted.
Yes. We've had idiots arguing against putting locking doors on shared cycle garages because they thought people wouldn't lock the bikes inside... I said to put a few notices up and no-one who wants to keep their bike would leave it completely unlocked inside such a garage because it obviously only takes one person to be careless with the door or security gate, even as simple as holding it open for someone who they don't really know has a right to access it, and then your bike would be defenceless.

As for people and reception desks watching it, that'll deter the casual thief, but the brazen con artist will still have a go - and cameras just show you who nicked it once it's gone. So I'd still proper lock it.

Top Bottom