Leaving a U lock on a rail at work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I leave mine at work but it is in a busy overlooked area during the daytime & as far as I know we don't have too many oiks gadding around after hours.

I don't suppose sticking an emergency spare lock in a desk drawer would be an option ? A Masterlock Street Fortum is about £20 and Gold Sold Secure.
I leave my Kryptonite New York D Lock and Kyrptoflex cable at work also, lots of folk do and its a similarly overlooked area (especially by me :okay:) but you remind me I want to buy a BTwin d'lock and stash it in my locker for the eventuality when the Kyrptonite lock is not overlooked (at night) and tampered with

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Perfectly acceptable to leave a big lock at work, but take a second decent one just in case it fails.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Do you not have the pannier version?

I do but I can fit everything in need for work in just the trunk bag section and I don't like the idea of the lock loose in a pannier, not totally sure why. Apologies, I seem to baking a big deal about a minor issue.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Some locks are massively heavy, hence leave it at work..

I always find it ironic that some cyclists will spend thousands on a super-light bike, then have to carry a super-heavy D lock or chain, in order to keep hold of the thing. I'm sure the sum of bike weight + lock weight in many cases comes to just as much as having a much cheaper bike secured by a lighter lock!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I always find it ironic that some cyclists will spend thousands on a super-light bike, then have to carry a super-heavy D lock or chain, in order to keep hold of the thing. I'm sure the sum of bike weight + lock weight in many cases comes to just as much as having a much cheaper bike secured by a lighter lock!

My fixie was worth a few 'bob' and it was light until I popped the panniers on it. Never mind hey.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do but I can fit everything in need for work in just the trunk bag section and I don't like the idea of the lock loose in a pannier, not totally sure why. Apologies, I seem to baking a big deal about a minor issue.
Put it amongst all the other stuff or leave it in hired locker? What do you need to carry every day, can you not leave stuff a work?

nonowt

Über Member
I work in central London and leave a hefty lock and cable on the bike rack outside (which is in a court yard accessible from the street during daylight). I then carry a smaller hiplok with me in case I need to stop off on the way (and use both locks when I get to work). I don't think a professional bike thief would waste their time (and risk getting caught) tampering with a lock on the off-chance they can steal a bike in the future. A serious bike thief with the right tools can bust pretty much any lock in minutes without prior tampering. A few bikes have been stolen (usually newly bought cycle-to-work scheme ones) but due to bad locking technique (one only locking a front wheel to the rack and the other was due to a lot of space in the "U" of the lock leaving room for a bottle jack) rather than tampering. Both thefts were caught on CTTV which was clearly not a deterrent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Put it amongst all the other stuff or leave it in hired locker? What do you need to carry every day, can you not leave stuff a work?

A full change of clothes, a towel and lunch. I am a big unfit fella so I can't cycle in my work cloths as they would be quite sweaty when I get to work and I need a shower when I get there. Tbh I haven't tried the new bag on the commute yet so there may be more room in it than I think but the lock won't fit either way without expanding the top and even then it is tight. I am turning this into a bit of a mountain out of a molehill aren't I, I only really meant to ask what people thought about leaving locks on rails as I don't like the idea but that is most likely me being paranoid,

my first thought is that if you are worried about some one stealing you lock how can you be confident your bike is ever safe?

I think I see the rails as more secure during the day on a busy campus as there are a lot more people about than in the evening. I am happy with the lock, it's not nearly as beefy as anything I use with my motorbike but those would be far too heavy to carry.

A few bikes have been stolen (usually newly bought cycle-to-work scheme ones) but due to bad locking technique (one only locking a front wheel to the rack and the other was due to a lot of space in the "U" of the lock leaving room for a bottle jack) rather than tampering. Both thefts were caught on CTTV which was clearly not a deterrent.

Now you have me worried about my locking technique.

Top Bottom