Leaving in an emergency tire boot...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
If you're like me and think it looks tough enuff to serve as a permanent fix...

Wiltshire-20140208-00724_zpscbd61a30.jpg

Wiltshire-20140208-00725_zps071922f3.jpg

I would never have thought the material was perishable, but after a couple of months use it seems to have rotted thru. Luckily the fail was non-catastrophic - the torn edge of the boot cut thru the inner and caused a regular flat, rather than a blowout from the inner pushing thru the tyre.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If the tyre was damaged enough for a boot then I would have binned it straight away. However bad it was.
But you got a couple of months more so hey ho...

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
If the tyre was damaged enough for a boot then I would have binned it straight away. However bad it was.
But you got a couple of months more so hey ho...

It was a fairly new tyre. I had piece of flint thru the pucture belt, just over a cm gouge...I was half a mind whether to boot it, or leave it, or chuck it. Anyhow the emergency boots are best left for emergencies!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It was a fairly new tyre. I had piece of flint thru the pucture belt, just over a cm gouge...I was half a mind whether to boot it, or leave it, or chuck it. Anyhow the emergency boots are best left for emergencies!
The old" get you home" trick was to use a folded up banknote for a repair. That would be an incentive to fix the fault ASAP
Still works today if you're stuck though.

gbb

Legendary Member
My 'temporary' patch that became semi permanent was emery tape. Gritty side to the tyre, smooth side to the innertube. Like Bob above, mine was a nearly new tyre. Emery tape works brilliantly for about 3 or 4 months, then holes like OPs. I must have done a couple thousand miles on that tyre, replacing the emerytape as neccessary.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My 'temporary' patch that became semi permanent was emery tape. Gritty side to the tyre, smooth side to the innertube. Like Bob above, mine was a nearly new tyre. Emery tape works brilliantly for about 3 or 4 months, then holes like OPs. I must have done a couple thousand miles on that tyre, replacing the emerytape as neccessary.
The permanent fix for this damage used to be that funny rubberised piece of canvas that came with puncture kits, the only problem being that it took ages for the glue to go off so was best done at home overnight, these used to last for years. Funny how you never see them these days.

Top Bottom