Leaving Panniers on Bike - Attempted Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jugglingphil

Bunny's bike option sounds good ( as long as you can resist the odd upgrade or new purchase :smile: )

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Not sure whether Bunney's Bikes still offer parking; Freewheel on Hockley probably still do, but a potential problem with both is what happens if you arrive back after they've closed. A totally secure, 24 hour option is the carparks at Fletchergate or Trinity Square, with bike lockers at £1 per day or £3 per week. If you need to be near/at the station, the Bike Hub on Station Street, as mentioned by Jugglingphil, is probably OK.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier - I tried from work on Tuesday but got dropped out for some reason.

So, experienced commuters, do you ever leave luggage attached to your bike when it's parked up? Is there some way of deterring would be thieves that I'm missing? Or should I just accept that anything not bolted down will go missing?

This. These days if its not bolted to my bike I carry it with me:thumbsup:

Slightly OT

When I tour I use a "PacSafe" for my panniers.

4330_50_1570_50_1590_anti-theft.jpg

It fits around the entire rear triangle of the bike enveloping the wheel and panniers. It then cinches in to the rack fittings and bottom bracket. Takes a few seconds to fit.
Place on ground, roll bike on to "cage" then pull over, cinch and lock.

Whilst it will not deter a truly determined and well equipped thief - it certainly deters opportunists

Also works for trailers!

P6180003.jpg

Attachments

• P6180003.jpg
    P6180003.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom