Leaving Panniers on Bike - Attempted Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Yesterday I had cause to park my bike in public. I locked it to a cycle rack where there were several other bikes, outside the main entrance to Nottingham train station. I also removed my lights and computer. This is a busy area (vehicle traffic, pedestrians and cyclists) and I assume it's under CCTV surveillance.

About an hour later when I returned some thieving oik had attempted to remove my (empty) pannier. The pannier is an old Karrimor job which is attached to my rack with clips, but I've also cable-tied it to the rack. It looks as if someone had attempted to pull it off my rack, damaging one of the clips in the process, but given up when it didn't come away easily because of the cable-tie.

So, experienced commuters, do you ever leave luggage attached to your bike when it's parked up? Is there some way of deterring would be thieves that I'm missing? Or should I just accept that anything not bolted down will go missing?

OT, but around the corner on Station Street (opposite the Tesco Metro) is a far more secure bike parking area.
But no, I only ever leave my panniers on when parking up at work or just popping into a shop.

perplexed

Guru
So, experienced commuters, do you ever leave luggage attached to your bike when it's parked up? Is there some way of deterring would be thieves that I'm missing? Or should I just accept that anything not bolted down will go missing?

Pretty much so I'm afraid.

Glad they didn't get yours! :blush:

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
OT, but around the corner on Station Street (opposite the Tesco Metro) is a far more secure bike parking area.

How do you access that bike parking area? I'm aware of it but a cursory look around didn't reveal any obvious way in. I'll be parking in the same area again tomorrow. Thanks.

Sara_H

Guru
I have a really old double pannier that I leave on all the time which I doubt anyone would try to pinch.

When I'm using my Ortlieb rollers I have a system lock to them to the bike, but wouldn't leave them unattended for long. Good tip about the cable ties, I'll try that with my old panners.

I've been very lucky, but yes, I think you have to assume that if it's not nailed down someone may try to nick it.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I have a really old double pannier that I leave on all the time which I doubt anyone would try to pinch.

My pannier is a tatty old one that isn't worth anything as such - I can only assume that the would be thief was interested in it becuase of what may have been inside it. My guess is that had it been knicked it would have been thrown into the nearby canal 2 minutes later when s/he realised there was nothing in it!

Sara_H

Guru
My pannier is a tatty old one that isn't worth anything as such - I can only assume that the would be thief was interested in it becuase of what may have been inside it. My guess is that had it been knicked it would have been thrown into the nearby canal 2 minutes later when s/he realised there was nothing in it!
I think your guess is probably right. annoying.

BSRU

A Human Being
Some people will steal anything, one guy at work had his rear light stolen and another guy had his handlebars half inched.

jugglingphil

How do you access that bike parking area? I'm aware of it but a cursory look around didn't reveal any obvious way in. I'll be parking in the same area again tomorrow. Thanks.

Gain access to bike parking from Station St., just past where the Tram station is. I'm sure I've seen the odd sign pointing it out.
I believe it's recently been changed, 1 side is fully secure requiring smart-card access, the other side you can just walk in and lock up. the new facility is monitored by CCTV and a security chap walks down the length and presses a sensor ever so often.

The cycle parking at the front of the station is the old area which is soon to be removed. This area has been replaced with a couple of temporary stands on the pavement outside the station!

I haven't used the new area since the smart-card access was introduced, and I'm not sure how you get one of these cards

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Thanks jugglingphil and 2Loose, I'll investigate tomorrow.

"...a couple of temporary stands on the pavement outside the station!" That's where I was - the old stands inside the station appear to be perfectly useable, were it not for the fact that they're all taped off and surrounded by signs saying that they'll be removed in September 2011!

Bunny's the bike shop next door to the station will let you store your bike there in the cellar during business hours for 50p, they may charge more these days though.

Having lived in Notts I can tell you that the station entrance is a dark dismal hole that attracts lurking junkies and agressive beggars, the station is also only in spitting distance of the "The Meadows" estate which gives Moss side a run for it's money.

In all it's the last place I would leave a bike all day.

The way in is beside the covered stairs over all of the rail platforms. Just opposite the stairs\lift up to the tram stop.

Interesting to hear about Bunnies Bikes storage though, if still true, definitely the safest choice.

http://www.pedals.org.uk/em_trains has more info and pictures to helps locate it.

Top Bottom