Leeds to Liverpool canal towpath?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I rode Bingley to Leeds just before lockdown - it's a nice ride, decent but variable surface when dry. But some of the signposting is dire, especially if the cycle route diverts off the towpath, and there are sections where it gets quite busy if the weather is good so progress might be leisurely at times.
Where do you need to divert off?
(I did come off just before Leeds centre for a spoons pitstop in the Leeds suburbs but didn't have to come off before then apart from a very clear bit that pretty much ran parallel)

A bell is a fantastic investment. Since I got one I can't believe the number of walkers who have said "thank you" to me.
Hope for you yet Paul - I trust your sports riding mates don't give you stick for it? Or does it pop off?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hope for you yet Paul - I trust your sports riding mates don't give you stick for it? Or does it pop off?
No, it stays on my winter/gravel bike. After taking up gravel riding I soon tired of shouting plus walkers don't react. I ping my bell from 30-40 metres away and folk step aside and usually smile. It's invaluable approaching canal bridges.

The two guys I regularly gravel ride with, we do a lot of canals/shared use paths, have since invested in bells! :laugh:

I don't think I criticise what others choose to do but I do take in what is said. I don't care if folk laugh as I know this tiny investment helps me, improves cycling's image and makes people smile.

Perfect!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Where do you need to divert off?
(I did come off just before Leeds centre for a spoons pitstop in the Leeds suburbs but didn't have to come off before then apart from a very clear bit that pretty much ran parallel)
There was a bit in Shipley where the canal goes under a low bridge where bikes are diverted off. It's actually fairly straightforward once you've worked it out, but poorly signed.

There was also a section below Kirkstall Abbey near the electrical substation where bikes were signposted to leave the towpath and if there were any signs after that I missed them. I got lost on in an industrial area and ended completing the last couple of miles on the appallingly bad Kirkstall Road cycleway.

presta

Guru
I walked Liverpool to Blackburn in 2016, but I wasn't paying much attention to the rideability of it. I rode Gargrave to Skipton in 2011, and I can vouch that it was mud at that time, as I slipped and fell off. Not in the drink, I went head first down the embankment, and ended up upside down in a rhododendron bush, with the bike on top of me.

I walked Liverpool to Blackburn in 2016, but I wasn't paying much attention to the rideability of it. I rode Gargrave to Skipton in 2011, and I can vouch that it was mud at that time, as I slipped and fell off. Not in the drink, I went head first down the embankment, and ended up upside down in a rhododendron bush, with the bike on top of me.
Gargrave to Skipton has since been improved - its fine now.

Venod

Eh up
I can confirm the section from Silsden to Leeds is rideable surface varies but no terrible bits a few puddles in wet weather.

There was also a section below Kirkstall Abbey near the electrical substation where bikes were signposted to leave the towpath and if there were any signs after that I missed them. I got lost on in an industrial area and ended completing the last couple of miles on the appallingly bad Kirkstall Road cycleway
I can see how you missed the sign there if not concentrating, it is there though.

Last edited:
What's it like beyond Gargrave - towards Foulridge?
sorry don't know in detail.
The surface goes past the locks at gargrave (heading away from skipton) to the next bridge where you would have to come off, through a gate that might be tricky if carrying a lot of stuff. It then gets muddy near Bank Newton locks. then variable I think to Greenberfield, though I have only ridden part of that, A todo. You can definitely ride beyond Greenberfield a fair bit.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The bits local to me - Bit narrow and bumpy and lots of puddles on section between Botany Bay at Chorley - busy section with walkers and doggies on section between Johnsons Hillock Locks and Top Lock pub at Whittle-le-Woods. Quieter beyond there - some bumpy muddy sections nr Higher Wheelton

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No, it stays on my winter/gravel bike. After taking up gravel riding I soon tired of shouting plus walkers don't react. I ping my bell from 30-40 metres away and folk step aside and usually smile. It's invaluable approaching canal bridges.

The two guys I regularly gravel ride with, we do a lot of canals/shared use paths, have since invested in bells! :laugh:

I don't think I criticise what others choose to do but I do take in what is said. I don't care if folk laugh as I know this tiny investment helps me, improves cycling's image and makes people smile.

Perfect!
yep my gravel bike and Brompton are the two bikes I have bells on. Seems only fair on mixed use offroad paths / bridleways. A "ping" means bike approaching to most walkers, a shout could be anything

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A "ping" means bike approaching to most walkers, a shout could be anything

I was NOT impressed by this shout...

Once, I was walking along the Rochdale canal towpath near Littleborough when I heard "On yer ..." being shouted by a cyclist doing about 20 mph who had suddenly appeared alongside me, followed by "... left!" when he was 10 yards past me!

I indicated my 'approval' in the usual fashion ... :cursing:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The bits local to me - Bit narrow and bumpy and lots of puddles on section between Botany Bay at Chorley - busy section with walkers and doggies on section between Johnsons Hillock Locks and Top Lock pub at Whittle-le-Woods. Quieter beyond there - some bumpy muddy sections nr Higher Wheelton
Oi! That's my bit! :laugh:

Approaching the first lock the canal splits. Take the left hand section, an old disused cut, follow to the car park, turn right out of car park on to road, ½ mile turn left at bridge back down to towpath.

Avoids a few locks, narrow footbridge and a busy area for dogs and walkers.

Top Bottom