Left-hand drivetrain folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Forget the folder, I want a left hand rigid bike ...and a left hand piano.

But I am left handed. :okay:

Out of interest @CEBEP ...are you left handed and folders just seem to fold the 'wrong' way?

Sharky

Guru
The whole of the bike world uses RH drive trains and the folders use the same technology.
At the rear, drive is achieved via a clockwise rotation. If you just flip the wheel round, it would be a counter clockwise rotation and nothing would engage. So you would need a complete set of components that are designed for counter-clockwise rotation.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Forget the folder, I want a left hand rigid bike ...and a left hand piano.

But I am left handed. :okay:

Out of interest @CEBEP ...are you left handed and folders just seem to fold the 'wrong' way?
I'm right handed, just wandering why almost all bikes have right handed drivetrain. We have left handed and right handed cars, why not bicycles...

MontyVeda

I'm right handed, just wandering why almost all bikes have right handed drivetrain. We have left handed and right handed cars, why not bicycles...
We know why some countries need left or right hand drive cars... the same logic doesn't apply to bicycles.

Apparently they don't make right handed sewing machines

Sharky

Guru
Is there any aspect of a bike/cycling that gives more preference to right handed people? Or the contra to left handed people?

MontyVeda

Is there any aspect of a bike/cycling that gives more preference to right handed people? Or the contra to left handed people?
the front and back brake levers swap sides but that's to do with which side of the road we use... not sure it matters if we're lefties or righties.

MontyVeda

As a lefty, I've never felt at any disadvantage using nuts, bolts, screws or spanners. Sorry... but I'm calling BS on that one.
I mean... are bolts designed to be tightened or loosened? Are righthanders at a disadvantage when doing one but not the other??

SydZ

Über Member
In 1917 Henry Boyle described his first anaesthetic machine. Boyle was left handed and, two this day machines across the Commonwealth have the O2 flowmeter on the left of gas controls.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Having drivetrain on the left side will make no difference in riding. So why not put it on the left for a good measure?

MontyVeda

Having drivetrain on the left side will make no difference in riding. So why not put it on the left for a good measure?
Am i missing the point is is that a total contradiction... if it makes no difference then why move it?

Anyhow i seem to recall it being mentioned that most people mount their bike from the LH side. Being a lefty I simply cannot mount my bike from the left. I will fall over. So I mount it from the 'oily' side...maybe that's why the drive is on the right and not the left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I'm
Am i missing the point is is that a total contradiction... if it makes no difference then why move it?

Anyhow i seem to recall it being mentioned that most people mount their bike from the LH side. Being a lefty I simply cannot mount my bike from the left. I will fall over. So I mount it from the 'oily' side...maybe that's why the drive is on the right and not the left.
What difference in operation does front brake leaver makes while it's mounted on the right or left handlebar? No difference in operation, yet you can see bikes with front brake mounted on either side. So why not the drive train...

Top Bottom