Left Hand Shifter compatibility - will Claris ST 2400 work as a replacement for Tiagra 4700?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Pretty much as title asks, my front derailleur shifter (i.e the left one) is beyond repair so looking to get a replacement - second hand most likely - but saw an advert for this on ebay. Described as "2 speed Claris 2400", just wondering if it would be possible to use this instead of a Tiagra 4700 lever?

You could possibly get away with an older 105 model if you just changed the shifter or look for the newer R3000/R2000 shifter and then fit a new matching front mech at the same time? I can’t see an 8 speed reach mech not accepting a 10 speed chain and as shifter and mech match the ratios should be ok.

EDIT post as bowing to Fossyants superior knowledge. Personally I wouldn’t as an internal route cable and an external cable would drive me nuts!

Last edited:
OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
You could possibly get away with an older 105 model if you just changed the shifter or look for the newer R3000/R2000 shifter and then fit a new matching front mech at the same time? I can’t see an 8 speed reach mech not accepting a 10 speed chain and as shifter and mech match the ratios should be ok.

EDIT post as bowing to Fossyants superior knowledge. Personally I wouldn’t as an internal route cable and an external cable would drive me nuts!
Oh no! External cabling!! Rats! Can't have that. Looks like I'm not saving 50 quid then lol!🤑

Top Bottom