Left hook of note

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:
Point taken,but to turn left if its clear?if he had mentioned the parked cars,it would have been clearer.:evil:

Even if there were no parked cars, you should still take primary through a junction like that. To do otherwise is substandard riding.

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
That is like asking why would you signal a turn if it is clear? You should do it always so that it is natural and so that the time that you are under pressure or daydreaming, you do it without thinking. Not to mention that plain and simple it sets you up for a better line through the corner.

Right again JRG,but that wasnt the question,i had asked why primary for a left turn?When it seemed there were no obstructions.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Even if there were no parked cars, you should still take primary through a junction like that. To do otherwise is substandard riding.

A junction like what?it seems its different to normal ones then?i was asking about a normal left turn,if there is anything about this junction that makes that not a good question,kindly enlighten me.:evil:
And i guess i am a substandard cyclist,because if its clear,ill take secondary.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You should take primary through most junctions, generally speaking. That's where the most accidents occur, and that's where you need to be for safety.

I think you probably ride a little too submissively for your own best chance for safety, given this and other posts you've made recently.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
You should take primary through most junctions, generally speaking. That's where the most accidents occur, and that's where you need to be for safety.

I think you probably ride a little too submissively for your own best chance for safety, given this and other posts you've made recently.

Your probably right there,but i dont generaly move to the middle of the lane to turn left,unless like you said,parked cars force it.

col

Legendary Member
Twenty Inch said:
Dear God.

I took col off my ignore list to see what he had to say, and you know what - he's going straight back on it again.

Why?

Cab

col said:
Your probably right there,but i dont generaly move to the middle of the lane to turn left,unless like you said,parked cars force it.

Unless there is fast traffic in your lane and you just can't get into primary position, try doing so. Really. Much less likely to be left hooked.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Unless there is fast traffic in your lane and you just can't get into primary position, try doing so. Really. Much less likely to be left hooked.

I have been lucky,never happened to me yet,but i will take your advice and try to do it more than i do now.:evil:

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Wait a minute. Is this Col and Cab agreeing?!!??! :evil: Quick someone take a picture :biggrin:

:laugh:I agree with primary,but i have a problem doing it most times,i cant shake the feeling of holding up or being in the way,silly i know,but hard to get away from.

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by col
Very goodBut you know what im going to ask now dont you?Why were in primary for a left turn,you said yourself it was clear,as you were able to move to your left

I very rarely read papers either
Are you serious?

Benefits are twofold.

- Better line through the corner

- Helps defend against ignorant f**kwits who would rather left hook you than have to add 2 seconds to their journey!

That was my first answer!

Col
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen View Post
That is like asking why would you signal a turn if it is clear? You should do it always so that it is natural and so that the time that you are under pressure or daydreaming, you do it without thinking. Not to mention that plain and simple it sets you up for a better line through the corner.

Right again JRG,but that wasnt the question,i had asked why primary for a left turn?When it seemed there were no obstructions.

That is definitely an answer as to why one should take primary when approaching a LH bend, even without any other road users or obstructions!!

Col

I agree with primary,but i have a problem doing it most times,i cant shake the feeling of holding up or being in the way,silly i know,but hard to get away from.

Hopefully you will be able to train yourself out of this spurious reasoning before a moton gives a physical demonstration of why primary is a good position, especially when approaching hazards.

Remember always that they will drive to protect their car not your life. Sirens coming from behind? - F**k, get out of the way!, cyclist on the left becomes a statistic.

All a beep means is that the driver following you would rather kill you than wait for the road to be clear.

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
That was my first answer!

That is definitely an answer as to why one should take primary when approaching a LH bend, even without any other road users or obstructions!!

Hopefully you will be able to train yourself out of this spurious reasoning before a moton gives a physical demonstration of why primary is a good position, especially when approaching hazards.

Remember always that they will drive to protect their car not your life. Sirens coming from behind? - F**k, get out of the way!, cyclist on the left becomes a statistic.

All a beep means is that the driver following you would rather kill you than wait for the road to be clear.

Not sure if there has been a misunderstanding here?When i say a left turn,i mean as if i was going to turn left,not go passed it.

Col, are you being deliberately obtuse, or do you actually not know what I mean?

I am happy to explain again what I mean, but seeing as you have cut out the two parts of my 2nd explanation that actually do the explaining, I am dubious of the legitimacy of your repeated questioning.

As such my final explanation will follow shortly if you confirm that you aren't winding me up.

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Col, are you being deliberately obtuse, or do you actually not know what I mean?

I am happy to explain again what I mean, but seeing as you have cut out the two parts of my 2nd explanation that actually do the explaining, I am dubious of the legitimacy of your repeated questioning.

As such my final explanation will follow shortly if you confirm that you aren't winding me up.

No wind up intended,when i qouted ,thats all that showed.Im genuinly trying to understand if you mean going passed a junction,and holding primary,or, if when you turn left, you also take primary on the main road before you turn left.? Thats all i was puzzled at with the op.

Top Bottom